I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji TATSG sizes and layout help
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: August 14, 2010 01:03AM

Anybody ever build a NGC spinner with a Symetre 1000FJ and fuji TATSG's?
I am quite familiar with the NGC layout and usually just buy a few extra sizes in order to layout my build correctly. But with the price of the guides, an extra $35-$40 on 'extra' guides is not so appealing.
For now, I'm thinking a 20, then a 12 to a TLSG4J choker and the same out to the tip.
Anybody have any thoughts that might save me some dough?
I wont be using these guides again anytime soon, thus my hesitation to 'simply buy extras'.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji TATSG sizes and layout help
Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: August 14, 2010 04:53AM

I built one not too long ago for a stella 1000, i believe they have the same dimentions so Yes. I used tatsg 20, then 10, then 3.5 choker and runners. I think with 20, 12 then 4 you will have a shorter distance between the 20 and 12, and a pretty big space between the 12 and 4 if you are shooting for that nice "bullseye" pattern when sighting through the guides. If it helps you, the height on the tatsg is very very similar to the standard byag alconites so if you have some of those laying around you can play with them before you buy the tatsg.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 04:57AM by Phil Brenner.

Date: August 14, 2010 05:01AM

I forgot to mention that the 1st rod i built with tatsg guides, i used a 20,12,8, then 3.5 choker and runners. Both set ups seemed to cast just as well so i am sticking with the 20,10, choker as you get to eliminate one guide and save some weight and money. This was using 8 pound mono, so depending on line, your results may vary. You need to be carefull bumping them around, but they do make for a nice light guide set up.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2010 07:03AM

Have built similar setups as Phil
Using 20-10- 5- 2.5- then 1.5mm runners, and 20-10- 5's setups to the tip with great results.
And suggest following his advice on the 20- 10- 4 setup or 20- 10- 5 then 4

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 08:01AM

Important factor - line intended to be used?

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 04:16PM

That's the right kind. Just what I eas lookin for. Thank u soo much for the replies. I put in the order last night for 20, 10, 4's for an mhx781s. I also got an aero seat from AmTak.
One more ?
Never used the aero seat, I just slide the rear grip into the end of the seat, correct?

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 04:19PM

Oh, Mr. Stevens,
I'll be putting six pound pline halo in the reel for her. Will be usd for lake trout. Do you have another recomendation?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 05:14PM

Fluoro is the toughest fo deal with - if you were using braid I would downsize

I use 20 or 25 on lite test fluoro - don't follow the "halo"

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2010 12:00AM

“Halo” is P-line's top grade of floro
It is more manageable then the others and holds up as good and better then anything else I've used (but have not used all brands)
It is pricey but at least to me worth the additional cost.

Date: August 15, 2010 06:52AM

Steve Loughery.. That is going to be a nice rod. I built that guide set up on a Croix 3s66ulf and i love it. I have used 6 pound yozuri with it and it casts well. As far as the aero seat, yeah just fit the grip up inside the rear of the seat and use an arbor to fit the seat to the blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2010 06:55AM by Phil Brenner.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 01:26PM

27X for the choker or are you moving it towards the reel?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 01:58PM

Steven

Yea use the Y frame concept cheaper SIC not necessary Those guides will probably bend - real easy IMHO. Not enough bracing.

Check out Batsons guides. . For that mater price all other guides in the concept frame.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 10:05PM

I think Steven is going for light weight.

Date: August 17, 2010 04:19AM

Chuck i used the 27x method for the choker.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 09:47AM

At the butt end the two or three transition guides should not make that much difference. He is going for 4s. They just look easy to bend ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-180-159.myvzw.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 11:24AM

If you take care of your equipment they are fine. I have not bent one on my rods. Would I put them on a rod for my brother...... um no but I could put double foot boat guides on an ultralite trout rod and he would find a way to mangle them. I really like the way they look personally and for an inserted guide they don't come much lighter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster