I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Micro- leader knot solution
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 07:30AM

Here's a link to a video showing a good knot that works for tying floro leaders to braid which easily passes through micros.

Not sure how it will work on some of the heavy 50 lb or so floro’s discussed earlier, but is perfect for most fresh water situations

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro- leader knot solution
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 07:59AM

Thanks Steve .. and that little tool is a "must have" - I'm tired of cutting my index finger tying braided line to cinch down knots.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 08:36AM

Just wrap the braid around a pencil, pen, or scrap blank section

Nice and simple knot

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 11, 2010 10:04AM

I have read - have not used it - that floro is not good for a main line because it is too stiff ? But for leaders the stiffness is a good thing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 10:21AM

flouro is outstanding for main line. Just depends what you are doing. Out of 15 rigs in the boat right now, half are braid, half are flouro. One has mono.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 11, 2010 10:44AM

I have read that on spinning reels the stiffness make the line bellow out and come off the reel ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 11, 2010 11:09AM

buy some flouro and try it. You can read lots of things. Lots of new products out there that work great.

I've had the same thing happen with mono...

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 11:13AM

Bill - I am still struggling with flouro on spinning. Right now I am using co-poly (P-line or Yo-Zuri). I love the sensitivity and sink rate of flouro for fishing the deep weed edge with jigworms. I don't like the self-unspooling feature. I can't find some of the recommended flouro lines where I live.

Alex - what are you using on spinning rigs? I'm looking for a decent 6 or 8# line.

Steve - Are you the one that mentioned Knot Sense? I'm going to try to find some at Cabela's on Monday.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 11:28AM

Bill,

You have a couple of options for helping prevent line from billowing out on a spinning reel.

1. Use a smaller diameter line.
2. Use a different brand of fluoro. Not all are created equal, and each will have it's own characteristics, just like any mono or braid.
2. Spool up the reel and soak the spool in hot water for a bit.
3. Use a larger arbor reel. Either go up a size in your current model or consider one of the large arbor reels, US Reel or Bass Pro Shops.

Alex is right, even if you move a stiffer mono or a larger diameter mono than your spool dimensions will agree with, you will have problems.

Joe

Date: August 11, 2010 11:56AM

Chuck - I'm currently using 8# Gamma Edge as I bought about 15 spools (of various sizes) of Gamma when a local place cleared out (I think Gamma got out of fishing line and is focusing only on tennis strings).

My next choice would be, and preference prior to my Gamma acquisition, Seaguar Invisx. Loved the stuff. Haven't tried the Tatsu or red label yet.

Bill - another thing to remember... don't compare flouro leader material to main line flouro. They are much different.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 12:00PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 12:09PM

Alex, I wonder what will happen when the NO KNOT braid/fluoro line JOIN is discovered by this forum!

Mutiny On The Bounty!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 12:11PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: August 11, 2010 12:40PM

Bill S, I wonder...

Could it be? Makes sense to eliminate the whole problem and knot have it there anymore...

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2010 12:51PM

Nice video Steve, thanks for sharing.

DR

Date: August 11, 2010 03:34PM

My experiences with Floro have modeled Alex’s to a T!
But for life of me, I don’t know how he gets by with just 15 rods in the boat.

I use floro on both bait casters and spinning reels, my choice of floro line is the P-line Halo and Vicious brands on either, using mostly 10lb and some 12lb on spinning reels and up to 20 lb on bait casters anything above that I’ll switch to braid.

With few exceptions (like a Carolina rig) I’ll use either all braid or all floro with no leaders

Chuck Yes.

Bill;
The NO-Not set up is great!
But will not work with all braids, some of the thread weave patterns preclude Chinese handcuffs. And can be a little time consuming if having to do on the water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 03:36PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: August 11, 2010 04:15PM

With the problems that people seem to be having --- I think i will say with braid as main line and - If - i try floro just as a leader .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 04:15PM

steve, after watching you cast at tom's its no wonder you need more that 15 rods. i lost count on how many casting plugs are on the roofs of the buildings around tom's place. you must lose alot of fishing time tying on lures. lol hope things are going well

Date: August 11, 2010 05:03PM

JP;
Too funny!!
Thank you for providing a good laugh

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2010 05:30PM

steve

i have twice tried 8lb fluro on 2000 sized spinning reels. came home and pulled it back off and spooled up with the old standby trilene xl. for me it's a pain in the rear on smaller spinning reels!

rog

Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: August 12, 2010 10:24AM

If you are having issues with fluro on spinning reels, try this. When you have spooled fresh line on and before you tie on a lure, let your line out behind your boat at idle until you get down to the know and drag it for a minute. Reel it in while still idling. Twist is gone and coils are stretched out. Makes it a totally different product for 5 minutes of maintenance. Used a spool of 8lb invizx for over a year by doing this every fourth or fifth trip.

As for joining braid to fluro, try the stren knot. I havn't been able to break that connection at the knot.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 12, 2010 03:38PM

I'll try some Halo or Invizix when I can find it. I tried Berkley 100% 8# and I just wonder if it was labeled wrong. It was .013" diameter or so. Sounded like crap and cast worse.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster