I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 05, 2010 06:25PM

With the recent layoff of the entire workforce and closing the doors for time being where will everyone go for their nylons now? About a month or so ago it was said here that Gudebrod was done and people on here basically said it was a lie to promote another distributor/company. Not trying to stir any crap but I hope everyone that did that feels like they owe someone an apology.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2010 06:34PM

Personally, will be using Fish Hawk.

Most of my Gudebrod and Pac Bay has done little but collect dust Since I found Fish Hawk threads.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2010 06:48PM

No they don't owe an apology. Gudebrod was still in operation at that time, not bankrupt nor having filed for bankruptcy as reported in that post.

Where there is a need there will always be a supply. There are at least 5 or 6 companies now offering rod wrapping threads.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 05, 2010 06:54PM

We will agree to disagree on this one Tom. I know people that live in town and have been told numerous time that Gudebrod has not been operational for a while, may not have been official, but there was definately truth to what was posted.. There is a good supply and I do look forward to trying the Amtack threads. I have personally been using Fishhawk 95% of the time where I use regular Nylons. I will be trying out a few new companies and really wont feel the impact at all myself. I do hate with a passion that so many people have lost their jobs and livelyhoods, and hope that they do make a turn around.

Date: August 05, 2010 06:57PM

If you'll remember, the post claimed they had filed for bankruptcy. They had not done so and still have not.

It may still happen at some point in the future, but the post you mention was not accurate.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 06, 2010 09:43AM

At first I though this was a case of splitting hairs: whether or not the company had filed Chapter 11 or 13 made little practical difference to the folks who wanted but were unable to buy their thread but could not because it wasn't being produced. There is another factor to consider here, however. In the internet age, where information (accurate or not) is shared at the speed of thought, saying a company is in financial can have dire consequences to that company's ability to remain viable.

Take a look at Toyota: it's been a while since anything was reported on their sudden acceleration issue, but it was heavily reported for about a month, and their stock (company value) fell dramatically. If they were struggling when that happened, they might not have survived.

Misinformation is worse than no information, and in some cases it does real people substantial harm.

Date: August 06, 2010 09:51AM

Exactly - stating that a company has actually filed for bankruptcy when they haven't can do real harm. It's the folks that reported Gudebrod had filed for bankruptcy that owe any apology that might be due.

There are already folks out this week claiming that Gudebrod has shut down. That's not quite accurate either - they did lay off their workforce but are actively seeking new capital and hope to continue operations in the near future. It may or may not happen, but in the interim folks should stick to the facts.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2010 06:02PM

I think the term shut down pretty much means... no production!! No production means no income! I hope and pray that guberod survives just due to the beating Pottstown PA has taken in the last bunch of years. I myself won't promote any other rod thread, Use maybe, promote no! This discussion is on another site right now and Guberod has a long hard hill to climb I just hope they can. The way I see it.. I hate to lose another American company and not have that choice anymore @#$%&. Plain and simple!!

Posted by: Arron Slater (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 10, 2010 02:52PM

So what do you suggest to use for CP while Gudebrod works this out? I do a lot of snakeskin inlays on handles over Texilium and have always used Gudebrod CP. Tried it with Flexcoat and U-40 Color Lock and all came out foggy. I have Cason's Crystal Clear, American Tackle and Threadmaster ChromaSeal. Hate the Cason's oder, It's overwelming to be polite, but Cason's has done a good job on thread.

Date: August 17, 2010 08:16AM

Even if Gudebrod were to return, it is doubtful they'll bring back their finishing products. The decision had already been made to drop that from the line.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 04:41PM

I still use Flex Coat CP I just thin it with water - just a tad - No fogging use 2-3 coats at least.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster