I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MIcros - Phil Ewanicki
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 06:20PM

"I'll take my old Cabela's GSTII 906S rod to Ovedo and solicit Todd's opinion on whether or not it is equipped with micro guides."

Phil - I was interested to see what you found out. Thx.

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MIcros - Phil Ewanicki
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.241.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2010 08:57PM

I went to the Mudhole and bought an MHX six weight blank, which I have finished and can't wait to try - as soon as the heat index drops below 105. I took the old Cabela's rod along, but discretion caused me to leave it in the trunk. I didn't want to put the good people there in the uncomfortable position of taking sides between customers.
Furthermore, the vast majority of my fishing is fly fishing and surf fishing, and the rods I build fall into these categories. My interest about micros past and present has dwindled since I have learned that the advantages claimed for micros chiefly apply to fresh water bass fishing, a limitation which was not immediately obvious from the posts I read.
If you remain interested in the guides on my old Cabela's rod let me know and I will e-mail you a photo along with micrometer measurements of said guides, and you can decide how to categorize them.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 09:11PM

No one will say what a micro guide size is so no one can really know. But there was a post here before that said that anything size six or smaller qualified as a micro.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2010 09:27PM

Taken from RodMaker’s mag. Volume 11 Issue #5 article on Micro guides
Quote;
"The purpose of this article is to discuss the merits and any shortcomings of these very small guides which have only recently burst onto the rods building scene. We will limit our discussion of "Micro guides" to guides of size 4mm and smaller"

Nothing has happen in the last couple of years to change that, nor has the industry sought to reclassify a larger size as such.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 09:54PM

"No one will say what a micro guide size is so no one can really know"

If you missed that, then you haven't been paying attention.

"I have learned that the advantages chiefly apply to fresh water bass fishing,"

What about walleye, redfish, trout, etc? I know have a large number of rods all outfitted with micro guides in the Pensacola/Destin/Panama City, FL and a few over in Louisiana being fished by both guides and tournament fishermen. The Grass Flats Classic out of Destin was won this past year using micro guided rods. Those guys seem to think they make a difference. I know micro rods were on at least three boats in a redfish tournament out of Navarre yesterday. All those guys use braid with a flouro leader and have no problems with knots passing thru guides, so it can be done - all have Fuji TLSG 3.5s runners on spinning and casting.

"If you remain interested in the guides on my old Cabela's rod let me know and I will e-mail you a photo along with micrometer measurements of said guides, and you can decide how to categorize them."

That or post it on the photo page so we can all discuss. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see, considering several others participated in the earlier thread.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-72-120-199.myvzw.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 12:08AM

I'm not sure anything needs to be measured or pics posted. In the other post he identified the guides as having a 3.5 mm I.D. clearly not what we commonly identify as micro around here. Sounds like about a 5.5 or 6 mm guide to me. Although small by traditional standards maybe. Definitely not micro.

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.99.179.esconett.org)
Date: August 02, 2010 10:20AM

I exclusively use micros on all of my red fish and speck rods. Not only have I noticed a increase in casting ease, but a large reduction in wind knots from braided lines. And yes flouro leaders will pass through.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.179.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 11:47AM

Mike: Some rodbuilders are quite adamant about using the precise term to identify a particular guide or guide style. As long as there is agreement about the exact definition of these guide types the use of these precise terms is probably a good thing, for it reduces confusion.

This precision in the use of rodbuilding terms should apply to other rod building components and products. Were the "red fish and speck" rods you refer to fly rods, spinning rods, casting rods, surf rods, or some combination of these types? I may give micros a try on a medium, one hand spin rod build. What is the internal diameter of the smallest guides on the rods you mentioned above, how heavy is the (GSP?) braid you use, what diameter or pound test leader are you talking about, and what knot did you use to join them? This information would be of value to me in deciding which guides to buy

Date: August 02, 2010 12:06PM

Phil,

Blanks all fast action 6'6" to 7'6", lines, 6-12, 8-14, 8-17. guides used 3's and 4's. For casting I have used 3's all on top and 4's all on top. Spinning using the 27x method with runners at both 3's and 4's.

Use power pro, stren, and fusion crysal braided lines either 10 of 15 pound test. Use flouro eithe 9, 12, 15, or 20 depending on the bottom,(sand, mud, grass, oysters) . All are tied on using a blood knot with super glue gel molded to ensure smooth transfers, (same thing I do on my fly lies) when using 15-20lb leader on 3's I use a short leader and only reel in to the knot.

Date: August 02, 2010 12:46PM

Mike:

Thanks for the information. Do you space micros differently than larger guides, especially the stripping guide? I also am curious about your choice of #10 or #15 GSP. What type of backing do you use to fill the spool, or don't you bother? Have you cut yourself using these ultra-thin lines? Heavier GSP offers greater abrasion resistance, a greater safety margin in breakage, and, on rare occasions, I have been able to untangle wind knots in heavier GSP. What advantages do you find with #10 & #15 GSP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 12:47PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: August 02, 2010 01:35PM

I space based on the 27x method for spinners and start with traditional guide set up for casting rods and then do a static guide placement excercise to tighten everything up to my likening, this is also how I do my fly rods. I just use what ever mono I have for backing usually 15lb trilene xl. 10 and 15 GSP I just like the way they cast better, I haven't broke or cut one since I started using it. I have cut nd broke leaders though. But, when everything is tied good and new I can put plenty of pressure on the reds we have here, 22" to 28", not untill Fall will I use the 15# GSP and 20# Flouro for the oversized Reds.

I have become a master of untangling wind knots, but with the smaller guides they have been much less. Why I do not know, just is.

Hope this helps. Also the smaller guide trains, split grips, less finish, has really lightened up my set ups. We just spent the last week end fishing TIFT, Texas International Fishing Tournement here on South Padre Island, with my kids, nieces, nephews, and sisters and brother-in-laws. There was a whole bunch of us. We fished with everything from barbie poles, high end g-loomis, my rods that were on castaway blanks all micro's and split grips. The best rods that performed were the Barbie and spongebob rods, ans of course Mine. My 9 year old just got his Rod from me finally after getting the all A's honor role, and recieving other accolades. Well he fished his 6'6" castaway MB784 spinner with a 27x set up with 4's as runners. With a new Shimano 2500 Sahara spooled with 10# GSP, never had a tangle, wind knot, and could out cast his uncles(makes a daddy proud).

Date: August 03, 2010 12:22PM

Mike:

That's the best tournament report I've heard in some time; family and fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster