I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Tool for Turning Cork Blocks
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 03:23PM

Can someone recommend a lathe \ turning tool I can use the round out some blocks of cork (or rings glued together as well)? Someone in the past has recommended a Round Nosed Scraper.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Tool for Turning Cork Blocks
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: August 01, 2010 04:04PM

I use a roughing gouge followed by a round nose scraper. Some folks use a skew and obtain great results.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 01, 2010 05:36PM

Stanley Shur Form tool makes quick work of rounding cork or EVA then finish with sandpaper on a wood block

[www.qualitydist.net] (not an endorsement for the company, just a pic of the tool) Any good sized hardware store will have it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 07:16PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2010 06:50PM

I use the Surform as well. Cork doesn't cut exactly like wood. I rough it down with the Surform and them use the round nose scraper to get it concentric. Then sandpaper to shape and finish.

The exotic type cork rings are harder than regular cork and might indeed respond well to a roughing gouge. Worth a try. Jim says he does it so I'm sure it can be done.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 07:27PM

I wonder if anyone has tried a Microplane® from the kitchen. I've been dying to try but can't get it past the wife. It's like a Shur Form but razor sharp.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: August 01, 2010 07:45PM

I believe that our resident cajun uses a callus remover ... looks like a zest grater. Most drugstores have them for around $10. That sounds much cheaper than getting caught with the kitchen implements in your workshop.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2010 09:09PM

Tony,
As the other folks have mentioned, Cork is a different material than wood.
Wood is composed of long fibers that may be cut with turning tools, and the rest of the wood stays in place.
Cork however, which is the bark of a cork tree, is more chunk like on composition. i.e rather than long fibers as is the case with wood, more in the vein of small chunks of cork deposits to form the material.

As a result, the typical lathe sharp chisel and or cutting tool is more likely to dig out the cork, rather than just trimming off piece of the cork.

That is why the comments about the use of the Stanley surform planer, the cheese grater, a bastard file, coarse sandpaper tends to work much better than a sharp single edged cutting tool.

As the other posters commented, you do need a fixed tool to get the block concentric.
If you just use sand paper, you will likely end up with an irregular shaped smooth block.

You need to use one of the files, graters or others to get the block uniform before using the various grades of sandpaper to achieve the final finish.

One thing that helps to maintain the shape of the handle and or cork when working on it with sandpaper is to use backing blocks or boards on the sandpaper. The backing boards insure that the sandpaper remains flat as it is used against the cork.

If you don't use the backing boards or blocks you can quickly develop hollows or tapers on the piece that you really don't want to have in place.

If you are finishing a handle containing dissimilar materials it is very very important to use the backing boards on the sandpaper when doing the final finish. If you don't use the backing boards, you will quickly cut away and remove the softer material of the dissimilar materials before achieving the shape of the harder materials.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2010 12:26AM

tony i use my regular lathe tools. i have used the surform file, but i find it can take out chunks on the composite corks. you have to be careful with any tool. i stop well short of the finish size and use sandpaper to get the last 1/8" or so depending on the material. you should have my cell and you can call me if you have aqny questions. hope things are going well with you

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 03, 2010 10:29AM

Steve,
You can google Microplane and find Microplane blades that will fit your Surform plane as well as other individual tools. As I understand the story, Microplane started making these tools for wood working not as kitchen utensils. I use a short Microplane tool similar to block plane and a Surform plane fitted with a Microplane blade. Because they cut with smaller pieces, they are bit smoother to use when getting to a cylinder shape.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2010 06:54PM

Michael,

I didn't know they made just the blades. I'll have to look into that. Thanks,

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster