I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

building up a white blank any suggestions...
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 09:48PM

So i am building a WHITE 6'6" American Tackle E-glass Trolling IGFA 30 # class rod for kingfishing from a pier, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions from previous experience with what colors work the best. as of now i have a fuji 25 graphite gimbal, a 10" slick butt, black and gold aluminum saltwater reel seat, eva foam forgrip w/ eva foam foregrip cap, but cant decide on what colors i should use for wraps or for that matter what colors work best on a WHITE rod. Also, i am planning on marbling just after the foregrip with the same colors as the thread. Any suggestions would help out tremendously.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: building up a white blank any suggestions...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2010 10:19PM

Just about anything looks good on white. Bright stuff - combinations of red, yellow, orange and blue really pop.

Date: July 31, 2010 12:01AM

ok any suggestions on marbling, i want to use those same colors but i wanna make sure that the colors stay as crisp and true to their natural color as possible. would like to avoid the colors mixing after application and whilst drying. had this happen on the last rod, which it turned out pretty kewl if i do say so my self but want this one to be a litlle different.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 31, 2010 07:32AM

take a look at the photo page and see what is there.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2010 08:22AM

The longer you let the epoxy set before applying it the less the colors will meld and mix. Mike may have covered in that in the article on marbling. You can find it on the library page here.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 31, 2010 07:27PM

Wes: As for colors! The fish can't see your rod LOL When I was in business of designing custom rods I would tell my customers I was color blind and go from there. Seriously Do some sample wraps using different thread colors, using NPC, No NPC and adding CP to a standard nylon wrapping thread.. You well find a differnt color shade change in each wrap. Also depending on what finish you use there my be a slight color change in how crisp and bright the finish is. Also depending on whose thread you use there is a color change. I always buy more than one spool of the same color, I do this because of natural color changes in the dies used. You are in a beginners stages of rod building and many of your questions can be answered only by trial and error. After more than 30 plus years, I believe I made every misstake in the book and asked the same questions. . Except I am still the worst of the worset SPELL AND PUNCHUATORE on Tom's sit. Right guys/gals LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: August 03, 2010 10:04PM

I just finnished a halibut rod that is white.
Bright is the way to go. Red, blue purple, green. I did a chevron with gold between each color on the white blank it look great. I also matched the chevrons for my underwrap for pac bay roller guides and it looks very nice. I have had lots of great feed back on it.
Like was said earlyer bright.

Date: August 04, 2010 12:07AM

well i decided now to go with medeira (SP. CHK) thread. the underwrap is a neon yellow with flourescent orange trim band in the middle. gonna double wrap the black guides with a teal green, and then have that same orange as a trim band as well so that it will be yellow under then trim band of orange then overwrap of teal. have also marbalized the 4-5" section in front of foregrip cap with orange and teal/green. (first time marbling and kinda used too much of the two colors so it doesnt really look like marbling but hey live and learn) will post pictures when i get done here in the next few days. thanks for all the input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster