I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yellowtail Snapper Travel Rod Blank Recommendations
Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:28AM

Looking to build a yellowtail snapper travel rod for myself. I've fished for them several times off of the Florida Keys, but would like to bring my own gear next time and maybe rent a boat rather than use a charter/head boat.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a sandball/freelining travel rod that will fit the bill? I'm not too familiar with travel rod blanks.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yellowtail Snapper Travel Rod Blank Recommendations
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 01:23PM

Take a look at the Batson's Rainshadow line of three and four piece travel rods. The SB series and a bit heavier IC series. The ISP series 3 piece are rated for 6-17 #. If you think you might run into something a bit bigger, look at their new SWT 3 piece blanks, originally designed for peacock bass. All of these blanks will fit in an overhead storage unit for easy traveling.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 01:26PM

Are you wanting a 2 or 3 piece rod for travel purposes and what total length

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 02:54PM

take all three of these and you will have a rod for whatever swims by :) That sandball free lining technique is interesting I can see why it works so well :)

SWT70M-3 7'0" Mod Fast
1/4-
3/4oz 10-17lb. 3 M 0.593 .094 / 6.0 3.69 oz $73.72
3pc SW travel
medium power /
redfish / trout /
bonefish
SWT70MH-3 7'0" Mod Fast
3/8- 1
1/4oz 12-20lb. 3 M 0.652 .094 / 6.0 3.93 oz $79.21
3pc SW travel
Medium Heavy
power / permit /
big redfish /
snook
SWT70H-3 7'0" Mod Fast
1/2-
2oz. 12-25lb. 3 M 0.662 .100 / 7.0 4.385 oz $92.45
3pc SW travel
Heavy power /
peacock bass

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 28, 2010 03:09PM

Yup, a little more detail would help.

What pound test do you wish to use.
What size fish do you typically catch.
What length rod and what can longest piece be?
What price range on the blank?

I use a St. Croix. It is a little stiff in the tip IMHO. Works well when the big trigger fish move in and can handle a ten pound bonita.

I'm starting to become enamored with hot shot rods. Very limber tips but a ton of backbone with very fast shutoff. Mudhole offers a HS900, a light power hot shot in two piece. It would be wonderful for bonefish too.

Edit: I should mention I fish on the light side. Normally 8 pound mono and never anything more than 12 and that is for 5 pound+ flags (which I don't see much anymore).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 03:14PM by Russell Brunt.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 29, 2010 09:32PM

I'd be flying in, so I'd like a 3-4pc rod that I can carry on. i'm not stuck on any length, i'm looking for some guidance here... i've used 6'6"-7'6" rods which success.

I'm talking about 12lb test, with floro leader. size 1/0 bait hook. last year we got into some really big flags in late september which was surprising, but i'd say more than likely 2-3 lb fish on average.

I'd like to keep the blank at about 100 bucks or less if possible.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 02:44PM

Go with this one and you will have good reserve power when a UFO grabs a hold!

SWT70M-3 7'0" Mod Fast
1/4-
3/4oz 10-17lb. 3 M 0.593 .094 / 6.0 3.69 oz $73.72
3pc SW travel
medium power /
redfish / trout /
bonefish

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 30, 2010 06:22PM

UFO's...I like that!! You just never know! The Batson SWT's are sweet, but I think you still want something lighter? If so the Rainshadow SB783-3 is rated at 10-17 and will also go in the overhead storage. The cost is also well under your price point.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 31, 2010 03:50AM

I know American tackle has some in your price range. The St. Croix is more like $120 retail. I have been very happy with every rainshadow blank I have tried. I too would go a little lighter in power.

Some use a fly rod blank. A longer rod has an advantage in setting the hook. The typically slower action could be a plus on sudden hard runs, especially near the boat.

You are going to be holding the rod the entire time. I'd place a premium on blank/build weight. If you need a reel take a look at shimano saros. Hard to beat for the price and the extra spool allows you to fill one with 8# for the picky fish and another with braid with a 12# top shot for anything up to kings and dolphin in the low/mid teens size.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: August 02, 2010 08:18AM

Well, when all else fails, build two rods... LOL. I'll be ordering the SWT and the SB 3 pc's and just take them both.... can never have too many. my guess is they will be a nice smallie rod too for up here in Michigan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster