I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

problem with tip
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2010 12:42AM

i do some practice wrap on tip and has some problem need to solve,
number 1 how tight tension should be wrap on tip ? well i have trying the same tension i wrap all guides, when i get to top tip and trying to wrap and it's get hard to turn with ur hand and i did place loop in when when i'm finish wrap and i put thread in loop and pull it out and the thread just bump coz tip is smooth.
2nd which thread should start on tip or out of tip on blank like i say start wrap and wrap right to tip or start wrap on tip and wrap to left to blank ?
3rd i'm trying to find something to support the tip area when wrap i figure out if make a smooth roll wood in size go in tip ring to hold if make a support to place ?
i will trying to draw a picture or make a wood with wood roll place and take picture but just for a simple..

Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problem with tip
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 12:52AM

You definitely do not need the tension as you are not trying to secure anything. I sometimes wrap up to the tip other times away from it.

If you look at backlash tools on the sponsor site, you will see that they have a tool for working on the tips. Personally I do not use one, but its all what a person gets used to.

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 06:33AM

Josh,
I always start my tip wrap on the butt side of the blank, wrap up onto the tube top, burnishing before you reach your stopping point, and then back down off the tube & finishing my wrap in the starting position. This ends up being a double wrap and finishing this way gives a much smoother tie-off. Hope this helps.
Jeff

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 08:07AM

Josh,

I always start my wrap against the tube of the tip-top and wrap towards the butt. I also like Jeff's idea. Try some things and use what works best for you.

Wrapping tips is the hardest part of wrapping for me. Unless a client really wants the tip wrapped, I leave it off. It's purely cosmetic and it doesn't do anything but add weight.

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 10:45AM

Josh,
One thing that helps quite a bit when wrapping a tip, is to make a rod building tip support.
I particularly use these supports when working on rods that have very fine and easy to bend tips.

They are nothing more than a piece of solid blank material that is cut to the right length to support the tip and has been mounted in a board that I can bolt to my rod stand.
On the end of the solid blank material, I cut a slit that is a bit wider than the diameter of the tip. This allows me to drop the tip into the tip support slot and have a stable tip when wrapping. With a very fine and even less fine tip, the tip tends to bend quite easily and it makes it difficult to maintain the correct tension.
Generally speaking when wrapping tips, I tend to wrap the tips somewhat tighter than my regular wraps. There is no guide that you have to worry about adjusting, so a bit tighter than normal works well for me. It keeps all of the wraps very nice and tight.
I also make a point to wrap the tip with the wraps very tight together as I am doing the wrap. Again, with a very tight wrap, it is difficult to move the warps when it is complete, so it is better to keep the wraps very close together, so you don't have to do any adjusting when the wrapping is complete.

Depending on the tip and what I am using for a tip top, I will either use a single double or triple wrap on the top of the rod.

For most rods that have a good fitting tip, I will put on the tip top with tip cement and then do the tip wraps afterward.

But, if I find that I have a tip top for the rod that is a bit on the loose side, I will see if there is room for a wrap under the tip top. If so, I will leave the tip top off of the rod, wrap all of the way to the tip and then put the tip top on the rod over the tip wraps.

If I happen to be builing a very fine tipped rod and find that the smallest tip top is somewhat large, I will see if I need a douple or triple wrap to space out the tip enough for a nice fitting top.

After building a few rods with a blank that has been wrapped to the tip, I sometimes find that I actually prefer putting the tip on the blank over a layer of thread. It seems that the tip adhesive really penegrates the thread well and holds the tip in place very well.

On most rods that already have the tip in place, I will always start the wrap at the tip and continue the wrap toward the butt of the rod.

Use plenty of tension on the tip wraps, keep the wraps tightly packed as you wrap, and you will have a nice effect.

Roger

Date: July 27, 2010 10:49AM

Josh,
Here is the picture of the tip support stand that I made to use when wrapping fine tipped rods to keep the tips from moving around.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you don't have a rod wrapping base to bolt the tip stand down with, simply use a large c - clamp and clamp the support to your table top. The support will work much better for you if you can be sure that the tip support doesn't move around when wrapping the rod.

Roger

Date: July 27, 2010 01:47PM

Roger,
your picture of shown tip support that one i was talking about but i guess i'll trying other way like bobbin like i do with jig ties and see how it work, like i say if use bobbin just all need to hold the blank close to tip and make wrap it all way to tip, i'll trying my fly/jig bobbin with 100 yard of spool and see if it fit or work either..

Josh

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 03:05PM

Josh -
Make a two to three wraps of thread around the arm of the bobbin = that will keep it from backing off and provide enough tension to keep the thread level. I do this all the time on blanks that are over 8 feet long and extend beyond the basic rod wrapping machines.

Date: July 27, 2010 03:07PM

Josh,
I read and understand your thoughts about using a bobbin to wind the tip. That will work just fine.
The thing that I still like is some method - like the tip stand - to stabilize the tip. You can use one hand to hold the tip, but to do a good job, it often works much better to be able to use both hands when you are wrapping. If you have to hold the tip with one hand, you only have one hand to hold the bobbin. When, it comes time to do the tie offs etc. you don't have an extra hand to hold the bobbin, and lay in the tie off and pull the thread up tight at the same time.

Although I understand your method, I simply use my power wrapper to wrap the tip as if I were just wrapping another guide. With the power wrapper, and the thread tensioning device, and the tip stabilizer, the thread is taped to the tip, the tip is wrapped as another guide, the wrapper is stopped, the tie off thread is laid on the rod, and the wrap is finished. Stop the wrapper, pull the tie off thread through the wraps, trim the thread and you are done. A minute or so and you have the tip wrapped. Simple, quick and easy.

Roger

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 03:48PM

Josh,
I posted (3) photos of a tip top support which I made under "equipment and tools".
It is similar to others I've seen posted here.
Good Luck

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: July 27, 2010 04:00PM

Ken,
I alwasy put thread over the bobbin arm when i do jig ties it make good tension and tight and i did trying it today on old rod wrap tip with bobbin and it make much easy for me to wrap and smooth but i wrap with bobbin very slow and smooth and put loop underwrap and wrap 5 to 7 time and hold thread on tip tube and take off hamd from bobbin like i did with jig ties and cut the thread and bobbin fall and i put thread in loop and pulled it under thread and still get bump and i figure that tip tube is smooth/slick, might i should trying wrap on tube of tip and wrap to blank as opposite way as left wrap instead right wrap ??

any suggest on how to stop bump after pulled loop out

Josh

Date: July 27, 2010 06:35PM

Josh,
I doubt that it is a good idea to wrap over the tip tube.
It is pretty simple to get rid of the thread bump. Simply use a burnishing tool to smooth and flatten the bump.
A burnishing tool can be anything that is dull, not sharp, and can use to smooth the thread, as well as pack the thread.

Several of the sponsors on the left side of this page have burnishing tools for sale.

You can use a craft stick, but if the stick is made of wood, you will sometimes get wood fibers in the wrap. Better to use a tool made of a non wood material, like plastic, or smooth metal.

Roger

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 06:54PM

I like Jeremy's idea of just leaving the wrap off at the tip. It's glued on with epoxy anyway.

Greg

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 02:46PM

When I build the rod for my own use, I do NOT wrap the tip as it serves no purpose other than looks and it adds a very small amount of weight.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 03:48PM

I wrap the first guide. Then I wrap the tip with very little tension making it a little shorter. It is only for looks . But without it the rod IMHO does not look complete.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster