I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mini Lathe Choice
Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.207-68.panhandle.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2010 08:38AM

Rikon 1/2 HP 12 x 16 for $282.14
Craftsman 1/2 HP 12 x 16 for $269.99
Both Brand new are the tapers the same on most Lathes to take a drill chuck ans to take a three jaw chuck?
Which woul be the best for the money and holding up to use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mini Lathe Choice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2010 11:08AM

I would go for the Rikon because I have some experience with it. It's a lot of tool for the money. A lot of value there. The slight additional length over most of the similar lathes means you can do a lot more without having to buy a bed extension. Sammy MIckel has one and I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving you his impressions if you'll email him and ask.

The Craftsman may be equally good, I just haven't had much luck with their power tools in recent years. But I've not actually seen or used that particular lathe.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 11:15AM

Try the Buy/Sell page and see what may be there.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 11:15AM

I'm not very familiar with either one, but hear the Rikon gets good marks. No, the tapers are not necessarily the same on all lathes. Some are #1MT and some are #2MT they should specify. Chucks are readily available for either taper, with #2 being the most popular.

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: July 27, 2010 12:01PM

I've heard that the Craftsman will only accept Sears accessories whereas the rikon would have more accessoires available from OEM's.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 12:38PM

I own and use the Rikon, its a GREAT lathe with many many extras as Tom stated.

Rikon.

DR

Posted by: Sam Hightower (---.mediageneral.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 01:10PM

I, too, have the Rikon and it's been great for my applications.

Sam

Sam Hightower
Richmond, Va

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 27, 2010 02:48PM

IF you can save an extra $100 ... you can catch the Jet 1220 on sale for just under $400. It has a 20" center, meaning no extension needed. In addition it offers ... a 3/4hp motor, an additional 10" rest and an integrated worklight. Just a thought. IMO, the extra 4" makes a big difference.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 03:02PM

Dale,
You might check out the lathes from Penn State Industries @ pennstateindustries.com

In particular:

[www.pennstateind.com]

You get a lot of lathe for the money.

Remember, before you are finished, it is pretty normal to spend as much for accessories as for your original purchase. i.e. you will likely want 2 or 3 different chucks. You will likely want two or three different tail stock accessories. You will likely want a selection of mandrals etc. etc. etc.

So, if you initially spend $300 on the lathe, you will likely spend another $200- $300 to really make it as usable as it can be.

Roger

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: July 29, 2010 09:27AM

My opinion is that you should decide what tool will basically do everything you want or think you would want it to do, then buy the next level up.
By doing this, you get one that will do what you want but has the capability to do more when you learn to use it and then decide you want to try something
that was not on your original list. For example, I bought a hobby lathe to just do cork. Never thought I would want to do anything else. Wrong---now I would really
like to do some wood working but my lathe wont do what I want. If I had bought the next level up, no problems. Roger is right on the accessories--they will at least
equal what you spend on the lathe and if you can find a deal where a lot are thrown in, you are probably better off for it. I avoid Sears because so many of their tools
will not allow for other mfgs accessories to be used--only their own. Good luck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 02:22PM

Always better to have and not need - then to need and not have

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster