I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

minima seat too large
Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 09:55AM

Hi folks,
Got a request for a build with a Minima reel seat. Problem is that the smallest Minima seat base is 0.374 " ID, and the blank OD where the seat needs to go is about 0.321". I'm familiar with using arbors to take up extra space, but the Minima base section is designed to fit snugly on the blank, and all the standard methods I can think of will show at the edges of the seat. Any ideas on how I can reduce the seat ID of the base part and not have the result show as a wide, obvious seam around the seat? Thanks!

Pete Appel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: minima seat too large
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 11:09AM

Depending on the color match - graphite arbors - not the flex coat - or maybe the Pac Bay arbors they are a dark color . ??

Using longer arbors let it stick out the forward end and shape for a ramp

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 11:11AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: July 25, 2010 12:27PM

There’s not much you can do to make a Minima seat look good in a case like this. Also on a blank that small a Minima seat wouldn’t be very comfortable, and would be pretty heavy, they work better on large diameter blanks. Assuming you are talking about a spinning rod the best system for small diameter blanks like you have is a Tennessee handle, if you make it with a foam core carbon skin system it will be super light and very comfortable.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 01:36PM

Tell your customer that the minima seats doesn't come in a size as small as the blank and there are other options that he should consider. Mike hit it on the head, if the minima would be available in a size that small it would probably be very uncomfortable to hold for any long periods of time.

If you're building a casting rod I have some reel seats available from Castaway and Batson with hole diameters as small as 8.5 mm.

Use the contact us tab on the Swampland website if I can answer any questions.

Lance

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 01:39PM

I'm kind of thinking out loud here but what about this. If you took piece of scrap blank with an ID that would fit the area of the blank where you want the reel seat placed. Epoxy it to the blank and order the properly sized Minima reel seat to fit. Make the scrap piece long enough to go under the threaded barrel also. I rebuild an old Shimano Crucial casting rod with an exposed trigger that was shimmed in a similar manner.

Lance bought up a good point also. I don't like Minimas for blanks where I need less than a 0.50" reel seat. They get uncomfortable for me below that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 01:42PM by Scott Armstrong.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 07:54PM

I built a coupleof spincasters for my pastors grand kids not too long ago with minima casting seats. the blanks were cut from 5'6" to 4'. the blank OT was a lot smaller than the smallest minima ID. I used a tape arbor to fill up thegap and then filled up the remaining trigger area with epoxy. I had to let the rod dry resting at 40degrees so that the epoxy would set level with the trigger.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-8-229.myvzw.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 02:03AM

I build ultralight kokanee and lake trout trolling rods for use with downriggers out of fly blanks. To add a little color and a custom look i use the 15.5 mm minimas and make acrylic "reel seats" obviously this adds a little weight but for what I'm doing that's fine. Perhaps You can do he same type of thing with a scrap piece of blank like already mentioned or acrylic or wood

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-8-229.myvzw.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 02:28AM

You know what I was just looking through my rod rack and I had completely forgotten to mention in my last post that I built up one rod by doing a tiger wrap under where he minima seat goes. After the bottom layer of thread a few coats of finish then the top thread and finish you can add some diameter which may get you to where you need to be to use the smallest minima available

Posted by: Peter Appel (70.158.139.---)
Date: July 26, 2010 10:18AM

Thanks for the input, folks! Mike, Scott and Lance raise a very valid point, one which I will discuss with the customer. It's a spinning rod for light drop shotting (6#, 1/4 oz.). Scott, I finally came up with the same answer you did - use a blank piece, sized to fit, under the entire seat. One advantage it would have would be to increase the blank OD at the grip point, which might help the comfort level some, although I agree that long term comfort might be an issue even so. I'll fly the Tennessee handle past him - since he's looking for the lightest overall build he can get, that would probably be lighter than the Minima, especially in a split configuration. I haven't done any of the carbon-skinned grips yet, so I'm not real comfortable with going that way on this build. Again, thanks for the ideas!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 10:57AM

Instead of the blank you could also ues an arbor or cork

They can also be painted

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster