I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
replace guide
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 03:49PM

i has friend bring his old silstar ultra light it was just like ugly stick as spinal core in so i were remove all guide and what do i need to sand to smooth the whole blank before place new guide ?
what kind sand paper for that rod blank will i need to remove a leftover hard resin after i remove the guide
after i remove all and i still can feel bump in every guide area
anythings should i need to have ? like paint to sover the sand orr need anythings to renew a silstar rod ?
help will be apperciate

Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: replace guide
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 04:39PM

Maybe you had better get some books , everything you do, you post on the forum to ask how. We're here to help but not do it all for you, a lot of us have had to learn thru our mistakes and trial and error. Sorry to be blunt but thats my feelings.

Date: July 24, 2010 04:39PM

Duplicate post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 04:40PM by Ron Weber.

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 06:13PM

I would highly recommend:

1. Using the search feature on this site;

2. Buying a rod building book;

3. Posting your questions on other rod building sites-I would highly recommend the Custom Rod Builders Guild site (@#$%&); .

4. Buying a book on spelling and vocabulary-I for one, find it almost impossible to translate your questions into English.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 07:55PM

Josh,

Where are you from? Where do you live?

Standing by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 08:21PM by kevin knox.

Date: July 24, 2010 08:03PM

Thanks David and Kevin!!!!!!

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 08:25PM

You can do it Josh. Just try something. You'd be surprised what you can do. Experiment then post your results. If it works or doesn't work you still learn and so do we.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2010 08:26PM

I've offered to send Josh something that I think will help him greatly. I'm just waiting for his phone number so I can talk to him a moment.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2010 08:28PM

Thanks Tom. I'm glad you could help him.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 24, 2010 08:48PM

Thanks X2 Tom

Date: July 25, 2010 12:15AM

Tom, I just email u back, u are the first person able to learn somethings like i have learn about rodbuilding when u answer my phone, i'll be happy to talk with you.. good experince for you as i do with rodbuilding..
dont forger that i'm deaf and i love to challenge the hearing people and more openmind to ask a question and if they dont want to help or give any good infomration that fine with me i respect you all guys.. no plm for me
but i will find a way to get it better than read a book or anythings coz my reading level isnt high enough just want a basic information and ask for help cant they ?? if you ask me for any help or information and i'll able to share and give someone a smile ...

i have been go in site and search and the search didnt do any good finder what i type for sample " how to replace guide on rod " and show no post on this..then i will just keep search out of site and find someone who will able tell me the information and i will say thanks i'm not the stolen from your infomrtion .... i would like to share all of good with them if someone dont want to share then i wont share with. that a sample

Josh

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2010 12:57AM

Josh, I along with others owe you an appology. I don't believe you ever told the readers of this forum that you are deaf. It explains a lot about your grammer and spelling, though it doesn't really give us an excuse for being cruel for lack of a better word. Knowing this about you also helps us all be patient with helping you. Sometimes you are difficult to understand through your writing, but I can't imagine the difficulties you have endured and overcome due to your handicap. Please give us a second chance and I truly believe we all can help you and each other. Now, about your rebuild. Am I to understand you are replacing all guides? Are you wanting to refinish the whole blank, or just want to get rid of the epoxy at the guide mounting sites and rewrap new guides on the blank? If you only want to replace the guides, carefully remove the epoxy with a sharp razor blade or X-acto knife. You should be able to carefully shave off the old epoxy. It will sometimes pop off in large pieces. Avoid sanding in these areas as it is easy to cut into the fibers of the blank. It becomes more work to refinish the entire rod blank and you run into a whole new set of problems. If the blank is in decent shape, I would concentrate on just replacing the guides for now. Good luck and let us know the progress. Again, I and I think I speak for more than myself, appologize for being curt in our responses to you. Greg Weaver, Charlotte, NC

Date: July 25, 2010 06:52AM

Josh,
I still don't know where you live and this is important because there are many rodbuilders throughout the world. If you are in the United States, which state. What I feel that you need at this point is a mentor and not more information. A mentor will show you how to do these tasks and walk you through the steps to accomplish the goals that you have in rodbuilding. That said, the most important thing to do is to jump in ad DO some tinkering. Play with it. Mistakes WILL happen, but that is how you learn. Too much information is a bad thing sometimes. Build some rods and start to develop the skills needed to become a strong and sound rodbuilder.

Kevin

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 06:58AM

Josh,
Kevin is spot on, 100% correct. A couple of hours with a rod builder will be more valuable to you than anything else. Please send me your "snail mail" address off board.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2010 07:52AM

I believe Josh is from Wisconsin.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2010 11:32AM

Josh,

I live north of Green Bay. Not sure where you are located in Wisconsin, I would be willing to give you a hand sometime. I believe there are a few others in the area that may be willing to help too. Send me an email and we can do some talking. email me at sgtwink@hotmail.com

Mike

Posted by: Larry Powers (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 11:52AM

Josh,

I live in the Spring Green/ Lone Rock area and would be willing to show you some things if you like .
Based on your e-mail address I believe we may be close by each other. I have two nephews who are hearing impared so I understand your situation.
I'm not a pro but I have built and repaired a few rods and am willing to help in any way that I can so contact me if you like.
Hang in there.

Larry Powers
Wisconsin's Driftless Area

Date: July 25, 2010 11:26PM

PERFECT!!!!!! Im done. Im heading to bed..

G'night..

Date: July 26, 2010 01:41AM

Greg,
Thanks u\you for understand, yeash i was about admit that i'm deaf but i do love to do anythings to help eachother and give some question
thanks you alot greg..
let enjoy the build and help around
Josh

Date: July 26, 2010 01:51AM

ev eryone ask me where i live from.. SURE i'm live in wausau area but it's in scholfeild wi, i have been doing tackle craft been doing fly/jig typing for 6 year so now i want to upgrade a new craft is building myself own rod with st.croix ..
well otherthings i just practice replace old guides and put new on and it does look good but i still need more pratice on wrap on tip is tough and i'll tryiing to take a pic but didnt put finishing coat on yet
honest today just 6 guides take me many hours to wrap all, other guides i wrap was much easy when it's get to small legs and get tough but make it sucess til get to tip is the most hard and many bump from adhivser when i heat up melt it and make mess .

Josh

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster