I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grips too large, any way to make it work?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 23, 2010 11:01AM

I decided to try some of mudhole's wood grain look eva. The choices in 3/8" bore was limited and I don't care for the red I got. I also got a stick of the grey in 1/2" bore that looks better to me. Problem is it is a little too big. Can I make this work by glueing and using some type of clamp?

If I use the red I'm going to be stuck having to buy a Stradic Ci4.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 11:02AM by Russell Brunt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grips too large, any way to make it work?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2010 11:09AM

Spiral wrap the blank with heavy thread and then install the grip over that. If the space is more than that, you can do the same with some twine or cord, embedding it with epoxy as you install the grip over it.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2010 01:32PM

Black thread works great. You can use other things like drywall tape and such also....just think of it as "needing an arbor".

DR

Date: July 23, 2010 01:45PM

Okay, that is one way out. Thanks. I was thinking about splitting a piece of PVC pipe and clamping. I'm thinking I'd have to build it up so much I'd end up with a lot of extra weight in epoxy. 1/2" can be slid right off the butt end on a dry blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2010 02:18PM

Spiraling the thread or cord in say, 1/8th inch spirals, offers good support for the grip all along its length. But I wouldn't overdo things - if this is going to take more than 1/8th inch cord at the maximum, I think I'd get another grip.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-159-105.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2010 02:32PM

I know It doesn't help you right now but I did an ultralight rod and wanted purple grips. The only size mudhole had at the time was 5/8 I'd. I glued A couple of 16 mm foam reel seat shims inside the grip and then reamed them to fit the blank. Worked like a charm. Perhaps you could do the same type of thing. Either turn down some arbors or ream the grip to fit the 16 mm ones

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2010 02:58PM

Pac Bay has black ones if nothing else works.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 23, 2010 03:11PM

You know how it is. I was hoping to get her done this weekend and avoid another order. If it was only a few inches of foam I'd shim away. But it is a halfway heavy spinning rod so it will end up with foot and half (round abouts).

I just split a piece of 1 1/4" PVC. I'll see what happens. I could squeeze the eva tight enough by hand. Lord knows we normally stretch the stuff a bunch when we install it so I can't see a little compression doing any harm.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 23, 2010 06:10PM

The next time you buy parts check them

That is your responsibility !!!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2010 11:39PM

I think your asking for trouble. There's a lot of difference in stretching to fit and trying to shrink to fit. If your going to clamp it at least build up the blank a little to make up for some of the difference.

Date: July 24, 2010 09:44AM

take the time to do it right. You may have trouble down the road and have to replace it later. Better now.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2010 04:55PM

I'm not sure your clamping theory will work. I suspect you'll end up with a dis-formed grip.

DR

Posted by: Ferdi Goldschagg (41.177.101.---)
Date: October 15, 2010 09:52AM

I streched an EVA grip over a butt cap once as the customer didn't want to remove it. It had an ID of 22mm and went over a 35mm butt, needless to say it was loose afterwards but I wrapped it with 50mm masking tape until the epoxy dried and it came out perfect. Just make sure there are no creases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster