I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spraying Perma Gloss through a spray gun?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2010 07:31PM

I have tried to look up this subject but found no answers, so here it goes. Does anyone know if Perma Gloss can be sprayed through a spray paint gun, and if so how? I will appreciate any and all replies. Thank You!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spraying Perma Gloss through a spray gun?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2010 07:44PM

it dries too quickly and is not suited for spraying. i donlt know if lumiseal might work as it is slightly different. you can get clear coats for cars and add hardeners to get what you want.. check one of the supply houses for paints for automotive shops

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2010 09:43PM

i sprayed it once and got away with it using an air brush, Held it close and put it on heavy. Real dry air in an automotive spray booth. Full respirator and suit used. Dont breath it it will mess you up. You are better off using the sponge brush method and let it flow out. The higher the humidity the quicker it sets. I do not recommend spraying it and neither does Ralph O`Quinn the creator of the beast.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2010 09:43PM

If the bottle is a little old it will be too thick to spray anyway.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 09:44PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Date: July 21, 2010 10:10PM

Thanks for all teh feed back, I have been using a foam brush, but I thought of seeing whether i can use a sprayer, so, thanks, I'll stick to teh foam brush! and Frank, it ndoes smell pretty strong, and i am being careful!

Date: July 21, 2010 10:12PM

Thank you Fred and John! I'll stick to teh foam brush!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 21, 2010 10:42PM

If you want to spray with a air brush You can use a clear top coat auto epoxy paint. Use all the protective masks. Inhaling this stuff well effect your Brain, Lungs, Blood and Heart
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-05rh15-16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 09:34AM

I know a guy that used to spray Flexcoat High build thru a touch up gun after painting lures.He was quite good at it. It left a beautiful finish. My guess he developed the technique himself.

Date: July 26, 2010 01:24PM

PG is a fast drying Urethane. It might work, You may have to add a reducer to slow down drying time if there is lots of Humidity in the air
Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 26, 2010 02:41PM

Bob! What would be the reducer that I would use? I don't think i know of any!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 03:43PM

Do your self a favor and learn how to wipe it on.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 26, 2010 04:27PM

lorenzo Go to a Auto paint store or shop and ask for a Urethane Reducer. Take the PG bottle with you. Tell them PG is activated by Humidity. This way they can set you up with the correct stuff and recommend how much to use. When I sprayed it, my mix was one third reducer and two thirds PG. I just guessed at it, but it worked for me

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 26, 2010 04:27PM

Bill, no problemo! Been doin that! Thanks anyway.

Date: July 26, 2010 04:30PM

Thanks Bob! I'll give it a try, might take me a few tries, till I learn How to spray it right, Again thanks! Have good day!

Date: July 26, 2010 04:52PM

Good LUCK. Hint make sure you have a dust free area. Also I found out it was a pain in the backside. So I prepped my my blanks and took them to a Auto paint shop and had them clear Coated with a Urethane Top Coat. The same stuff they use on Corvettes and any glass car. I think I paid 25 bucks. No mes or fuss, plus they were cured in a heated environment

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster