I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

inscription area prep
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 08:50PM

What do you do to the inscription area before applying pen and ink? CP or epoxy or just clean with alcohol? Using Higgens water proof drawing ink.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: inscription area prep
Posted by: Billy Richardson (---.ocfl.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 09:18PM

Greg, I take a small piece of nylon scrub pad and lightly dull the blank finish, clean and apply inscription. Allow to ink to dry over night and apply CP and epoxy.
Hope that helps

Fire Warrior Custom Rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2010 09:46PM

One suggestion, - clean, then scuff, then apply inscription. If you feel the need to dust off any scuffing dust, use a soft brush. Never make the last step in your surface prep a solvent wipe.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2010 05:38AM

Greg,
For all of the inscriptions on my rods, I use Testors model paint. After lots of testing with many many different inks etc, I have found that this personally works better than any thing else for me.
I have also found that when working with this paint, that Xylene is the right solvent to clean the pen, thin the paint etc.
As a result, the only prep that I do for rods, is to do a complete wipe down of the blank with Xylene before ever starting the build.

As a result, I never do any more prep in the inscription area when it comes time to do the work.

For myself it works very well.

Note: If I work with a blank model and or manufacturer that I have never used before, I will always do a test wipe with Xylene in the rod butt blank area that will be covered by the handle before doing the entire rod. Some rod finishes and Xylene are not compatible.
Always test before wiping.

Roger

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: July 18, 2010 07:28AM

I prefer to write on finish so I put down a coat of finish first. I scuff the finish with 1,000 grit paper. A light spritz of artists spray fix before the final coat of finish.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Billy Richardson (---.ocfl.net)
Date: July 18, 2010 09:38AM

Rodger, what type of pen do you use with the Testors paint?

Fire Warrior Custom Rods

Date: July 18, 2010 09:57AM

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Greg

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 18, 2010 12:20PM

Tom, I have really struggled with trying to clean, then scuff, then brush. In Minnesota it's very dry in the winter, and even in the summer down in my shop with the central air on. I have tried the soft brush but the static cling is terrible. I have had to go to low tack blue (3M 2080) to take the dust off.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 18, 2010 02:18PM

Scoff and then a coat of finish. When dry scoff and use a damped paper towel for dust.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 18, 2010 06:32PM

Bill, you win for going the extra mile.

Greg

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2010 11:50PM

Billy,
I use the fine tipped speed ball 107 and nib holder.

[www.dickblick.com]

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster