I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snagging blank.
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 09:42AM

I have a request for a paddle fish snagging rod to be used with 80lb braid and 3-5oz of lead with an 8/0 treble.

I have participated in this sport( if you call it that) a couple years ago. The most common rod used is a 10-12' surf rod from the bank. Most guys around hear use cheep stuff.

The request I have is for something in the 10 foot range. Price is not a concern, it just has to be As he said it, "the mack daddy of paddlefish rods".

I'm not sure on a good blank. I was thinking Lamiglass. I would like to impliment the lowrider guides from fuji into this also.
Thoughts, suggestions, all welcome, and thanks in advance.
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snagging blank.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 10:13AM

Josh,
Any of the heavier rod blanks will work just fine.
For snagging, you just need a pool cue with a big hook on the end of the line.
Roger

Date: July 16, 2010 11:18AM

He actually requested something with a good tip flex.

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 12:20PM

I'm in the process of figuring out something along the same lines. Mine is for snatching gators for gator hunting in Florida. I was at Mud Hole a few months ago and held a Calstar 670XH-8 ... E - glass blank. It's 1.5 feet shorter than what you are looking for... it's 8'6" but it's a beast of a blank with some good flex in the tip for a heavy rod. The blank itself is heavy (total weight). I'm sure I could cast a 4oz treble hook a country mile with 80lb braid and do what I needed to with a gator. I would like to hear what others will recommend for the task at hand.
Good Luck! Let us know what you build on.

THANKS
GARRETT

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 12:22PM by Garrett Adams.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 12:30PM

I'd check with some rod manufacturers and get their opinion. Here are the phone numbers for three to get you started:
Batson 1-877-875-2381
Lamiglas 1-360-225-9436
Castaway 1-936-582-1677

Those are three that I had close at hand they should be able to help you. Let us know what you decide on. I heard of people going down to the Yellowstone to snag paddlefish while I was stationed in Montana but thats all I know about it. Good luck.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-221-198.myvzw.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 02:17PM

This is a tough one, given that such a long rod is desired. If you could drop down to 8', it would be much easier to strike a good balance. At 10', a rod heavy enough to handle 100+ pound fish is going to kill an arm even after an hour. I would strike the balance at a Calstar 270-8. It is one brute of a blank (57 ERN), but not so heavy you need a crane to cast it, and it has good tip flex. Maybe even consider going the other direction, and look into the 5 1/2 to 7' range. Unless you really need to throw a country mile, the shorter rod will be MUCH better for battling the brutes. I'd lean toward a 270-6 if I were going snagging, but I'm never concerned about throwing more than about 150 yards. The 670XH-8 would be a bit of overkill, IMO. The heaviest I'd consider is a 610-7, but be prepared for a 16.8 oz blank. Due to the constant casting, I'd also consider the BTG 670-7 or 870-7. The BTGs are composite and just over 1/2 the weight of the heavier BTs mentioned above, though they are a tad weaker model for model than the eglass versions and a tad more expensive. Still, due to the amount of casting, I'd look at the BTGs first.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Date: July 16, 2010 04:13PM

Jason, 10' is actually on the short end of things. Most guys throw a 12'er and I have seen some 15's. The okuma tundra series rod is by far the most popular because of the price. The year I went, I used a 10'er and it sure takes it toll by the end of the day.
I'll do some calling around and some more research on the blank. This will be a spinning rig with a size 80(plueger) reel. The guide train is another thing I need to consider. I like the looks of these new low rider guides, but how is the performance on them?
Thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 05:04PM

Take a look at the Lami GSB 120 2M. Weighs under 6 oz. and will fight a big fish with the best of them. If you want something a little longer, its big brother the GSB 132 2M weighs just a tad over 10 oz..

I like the Fuji NSG and MNSG guides on these blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 05:08PM by Clyde Hunt.

Date: July 16, 2010 07:20PM

The Lamiglas GSB 120 is rated for 40 lb line

the Calstar 270-8 is rated for 12-30lb line

Is that right?

I just could not see doubling (or almost tripling) the max rec. line weight.

I would not have any confidence in those blanks muscling around a gator (or a 100lb fish) with 80lb braid.

Am I being to cautious or will those blanks actually handle 80lb braid?

If so... you guys may have changed my whole out look on picking out a snatching blank.

THANKS!!

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-72-100-116.myvzw.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 08:35PM

I wouldn't hesitate to show up with a 6'er, but I don't much care what anyone else thinks is good. Consider what "most guys" know about rod dynamics and leverage. There's a 9' 90J and 690J available in the BTG series that are also very heavy duty. I'd go with the minimum length that will reach the fish. Anything longer will be more tip heavy, clumsy, heavy, and harder to transport.

Something to consider with the 80 pound braid and concerns over rod strength is that no one is going to be able to sustain more than 30 pounds of drag and 30 only for a short time. A 270 isn't even close to breaking at 30 pounds, if not high sticking, so all a heavier rod will buy you is a stiffer tip section and a tiny bit more insurance against strong surges. For that reason, unless abrasion is an issue, I'd run 50 pound braid. Marsha Bierman brought in numerous marlin over 1,000 pounds on 50 pound tackle, so I would say you're safe on paddle fish with it. Gators, maybe not because of abrasion, but the human becomes the limiting factor here in terms of strength, not the line or the blank. If you want a little more confidence, step up to the 670, but remember that I can't max out a 270 and I'm no weakling. It also won't load as well on the cast.

Remember that line ratings are the minimum break point and that braid most often breaks at a minimum of twice of it's rated strength. Also, if you've read up on the CCS, you know that manufacturer's blank ratings are not worth much. Those that create those ratings are most often marketers, not blank makers, so the only way to know is to measure for yourself.

Guide-wise, with a casting reel, I'd go no further than the Alps XN line.

Check out the halibut here:

[calstarrods.net]

caught on a 700L with the same 15-30 pound rating.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 09:31AM by Jason Cosby.

Date: July 17, 2010 11:39AM

Good to know.

Thanks Jason!

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2010 09:41AM

To narrow down your search you have to decide what characteristics are important for the application.

Do you need leverage, distance or both? So far, the only criteria you’ve given is that you have to cast 2-6 oz. and that the others are using 10-15’ rods. This would suggest that distance is important but you need to quantify the need.

Case in point, I tournament fish both beach and boat. What hardware I choose to fish off the boat is entirely different than if I'm fishing the same species in a beach tournament. I use #65 and #80 braid and 6’ rods off the boat. Off the beach, I use #14 and #17 mono and 10’ – 12’3” rods. Same fish, different technique.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster