I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SF guides for St. Croix Imperial 6', 2 weight fly rod
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 01:50PM

I am about to assemble a St. Croix Imperial 6', 2 piece, 2 weight fly rod (nice quality/deep burgundy blank). I wish to use light wire single foot guides instead of light weight double foot guides.

Here is the spacing chart that St. Croix recommends for their Imperial 6', 2 piece, 2 weight fly rod that they build using light wire double foot guides:

Tip 3.5
4.5" 1
9.5" 1
15.0" 1
21.5" 2
29.0" 2
38.0" 3
48.5" 10

My questions are as follows:

Would I use the same corresponding size light wire single foot guides to the light wire double foot guides listed above? (I re-iterate light wire because there is a big difference in single foot guide wire diameter sizes when you are trying to build on such a small diameter blank. I originally ordered the regular Batson and Pac Bay guides for this 2 weight rod and they seem too bulky and heavy when laying them out on the blank)

Does anyone else make a light wire single foot guide other than Batson/ALPS. I am considering RECOIL guides, but they seem a bit pricey and I do not know how their light duty/freshwater RSF single foot guides compare in size and weight to the Batson/ALPS LWHSFGP series?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's expertise on this matter when it comes to light weight fly rod building. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SF guides for St. Croix Imperial 6', 2 weight fly rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 02:22PM

Any spacing chart is a starting point. I don't like Recoils myself your choice. I would use single foot wire chrome guides First from the tip I would put it 3 - 3.5. Tip protection. marking where the handle will be hold it and act as if you are going to grab line then put the butt guide maybe one or two inches above that, make it to your liking. ' rod 6-7 guides. A static test and test casting will tell you more.

I would go with a 10-12 ceramic stripper - a high frame may work well depending on the reel and line path.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 02:33PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 06:28PM

I build my 2wts as follows:

Stripper: 1 XLXNL 10 followed by 2 #4 LWHSFGP and 4 #3 LWHSFGP Batson guides. These are light wire chrome. I prefer the Batson single foot because they are so well finished I have to do very little dressing to the feet.

They have tip tops to match.

To avoid any confusion, single foot and double foot size numbers are not comparable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 06:30PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.217.0.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 07:24PM

Peter,
The guide sizes and spacing posted by St Croix are quite capable of being utilized as stands.
Guide sizes between single and double foot are very similar.
I would suggest using light wire Titanium guides for the top 2 or 3 guides to keep guide train inertia from overcoming the blank. You'd like to feel the line rather than the blank and you don't have a lot of line weight to begin with.
My personal choice for guide size and spacing would be as follows.
Distance from tip inches, guide size and type
4.1 in. #1 single foot light titanium; 8.9 in. #1 single foot light titanium; 14.7 in. #1 single foot light titanium; 21.5 in. #2 double foot snake; 29.7 in. #2 double foot snake; 39.4 in. #3 double foot snake; 50.9 in. #10 double foot alox.

If you'd like to push the envelope and reduce the inertia further you could opt for a 6 guide set-up as follows. If you cast light tippets or want very quick damping.
4.6 in. #1 single foot light titanium; 10.3 in. #1 single foot light titanium; 17.5 in. #2 double foot light titanium; 26.3 in. #2 double foot snake; 37.3 in. #3 double foot snake; 50.9 in. #10 double foot alox.

Be forewarned the titanium guides can be noisier than traditional but the reduced inertia is worth the price in my book. Better feel, lighter stroke, quicker response.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2010 09:37AM

Leave out the intermediate sizes and you'll reduce weight and inertia even more. You only need 2 different guide sizes on that rod, the stripping guide and then all the same size running guides. This will also provide a much straighter line path than if you use a host of different sizes.

Using a host of different size guides is for the human eye, not the line.

Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2010 03:18PM

Tom,

Thanks for your input, I would like to use the Batson/ALPS light wire single foot guides and a double foot stripping guide. This particular St. Croix blank takes a 3.5 tip top. What size SF guides and stripper would you recommend?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2010 03:38PM

I'd use a high frame spinning style size 10 followed by # 1 single foot wire guides all the out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster