I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Modifying a Grip
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 04, 2010 06:00PM

I just obtained a rod I love. But I am not happy with the grip. It is a cigar cork grip I think. You know....tapers down to the rod on the rod end of the grip. It is not only a shape I do not like.....it is undersized. It must have been built for a pretty small handed person, as I do not have large hands by any means. My friend cast it and it was small enough to make his hand hurt. He didn't want to continue casting it.

I like Tennessee Hndls shaped grips. Or....an even cylnder....same diameter end to end with a slight rise at each end to keep slip rings from falling off. Well, this has a reel seat....so no worries about sliip rings falling off. But I do not like the grip.

I have never used or even seen "cork tape" . I don't know if after wrapping it on it blends together like cookie dough.....or if you end up with a segmented look like a tennis racket handle. I don't really care about the look...it is....does the cork tape blend together or is it a strapping material that will end up as individual wraps on the grip.I am thinking about ordering some cork tape. Just have never seen it....or it's results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modifying a Grip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2010 06:02PM

I assume this is a spinning rod. If so, I'd pop the rod into a lathe and turn the current grip down to a straight cylinder, almost to the rod blank. Then I'd install a grip size and shape that you like, boring it to fit over what's left of the current grip.

Date: July 04, 2010 09:02PM

Thanks Tom but it's a fly rod. I suppose I could remove the grip and splice on a new one. I just thought cork tape would be easier. But I live in a small town far from a metro area. I have never laid eyes on the cork tape.

Thanks Tom for reading my question and answering.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 04, 2010 09:20PM

Jim,
email me your shipping address. I will send you a few feet for you to try.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2010 10:03PM

I don't think you're going to like the cork tape on a shaped grip. It's meant more for straight non-tapered use. Remove the butt guide and do as I suggested above and I think you'll be much happier.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2010 04:59AM

most fly rods are multi piece. that means you will likely only have to replace a couple of guides. depending on the reel seat used. remove the couple of guides on the butt section and remove handle or shape down like tom suggested. then "oversleeve a new grip in the shape you want. put the stipper guides back on and you should be good. the only problem i see is the reel seat if it is inletted. overall it shouldnt be a tough fix, just put some thought into it and you should be able to make it fit for you
good luck and let us know how you decide to fix it/

Date: July 06, 2010 01:53PM

Thanks to both Johns and Tom. I have some free cork tape coming in the mail. Will check it out. Great point on the reel seat being inletted. Number of guides to remove...? 2 piece rod out in the camper. I go take a look at the reel seat and guides. John gracious enough to send me some cork tape to play with. I'm quite a rookie who has read a lot more than he has done. So, short on practical experience. Guess this is how you get the experience. I need to change the butt section guide set up anyway. So....it all sounds good. My arms a little short and most fly rods the first stripper guide too far away for me. If I remodel the butt section it should come out just right for me.

Thank you guys for the help and taking the time to type and post suggestions. Since I AM such a rookie any advice is greatly appreciated. I know just enough to understand what you are suggesting and can do it. But the brain didn't think of these things.

Thanks again for the help. I think I know what to do now. That is part of what this great board is about. GREAT INFORMATION
(and great members)

Thank you all
Seriously & Sincerely

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster