I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

moisture cure urethane thinner
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2010 02:45AM

Two part question:

What would be the proper brush cleaning solvent for these coatings? (DNA works OK so far)

And

Is there a thinner that will extend the working time of Permagloss and Lumiseal? Even a few seconds wil get me what I need.

I'm in Florida so there is virtually NO working time with this stuff, specifically Lumiseal, not into the Permagloss yet.

I figured I'd ask before it gets expensive figuring it out for myself. Thanks,

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: moisture cure urethane thinner
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2010 06:04AM

Xylene. It will easily clean brushes (so will U-40 Brush Cleaner which you can simply allow your brushes to sit in between uses). The Xylene might buy you a couple additional seconds of usable life, but I'm guessing here. I haven't tried thinning either of the products you mention. Neither dries purely by evaporation of a solvent so I'm not sure it's really going to do what you're hoping.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2010 12:28PM

If you are trying to spray I have no infomration. If you are applying a liquid - Perma Gloss "working time" is over three hours in Louisiana when put in a "shot glass" with a cover.

[www.rodbuilding.org].

There are many threads on this forum on the use of Perma Gloss. Try a search on the words "threadless wrap" and you will find a lot of infomation.

Date: July 03, 2010 12:38PM

Thanks Tom & Bill.

I guess I wasn't very specific. I'm ok with the working time in the container, I was looking to get more time to allow the product to "flow" once applied to the surface... to release the odd bubble & brush strokes. (Fractions of a second would make a difference I think) I need to get xylene anyway so I'll see what it does.

Bill, My search started at threadless wraps but what I found dealt with thickening the product, not thinning.

Steve

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2010 02:12PM

Get some Perma Gloss and give it a try - the viscosity is extremely low. It flows and wets like water when fresh out of the container.

Date: July 04, 2010 02:37AM

Bill - I will give the Permagloss a try and compare. From the things I read I was under the impression that Lumiseal would be "workable" slightly longer while brushing. I did get xylene today but didn't get a chance to try it yet. Thank you for your help.

I have a new baby at home so anything to do with solvents has been banished to the garage, that's the whole basis of trying to get this to work in high humidity.
Hopefully one of the above mentioned ideas will get the job done.
BTW - This is mainly for coating skinned foam grips, not wraps.

Thank you both again for your help,
Steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2010 08:18AM

Have you read the new article in RodMaker on coating grips with PermaGloss or Lumiseal? Done per the article, this process takes only seconds and doesn't require any brushing.

Date: July 04, 2010 11:19PM

Tom,

I have read the article. I do some grips that can't be completely covered by turning, such as the flat part of the SBSS seat and some other funky contoured stuff that I do. I'll try some things in the next few days and report back if any of it works. Don't get me wrong, they're coming out great but I can't stand knowing that there is any little imperfection.

Date: July 11, 2010 05:18AM

*UPDATE*

I got Permagloss and I feel it's better suited for this purpose. The Lumiseal did seem a little thicker to me. I still like the Lumiseal better for wraps as it seems to build up a lillte quicker but the Permagloss works better for getting that hard, shiny finish on an already smooth surface. A better brush selection helped also.

Another thing, the Permagloss fumes are quite a bit stronger. I don't feel comfortable working in my open garage without a respirator.

I would also like to thank Bill Stevens for all of his time spent on the phone with me.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster