I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

That perfect finish
Posted by: Tom Nair (64.62.123.---)
Date: June 26, 2010 01:18PM

I have given up on getting the perfect finsh on my guides. I am thinking of securing my fly guides with black electrical tape. I think if I am real carefull I could maybe do an inlay with another color. How will the weather effect this sort of finish? Should I just cover the threads with tape or should I have a bit of overlay on the blank? How many wraps of tape should I make for a perfect seal?Should I give it a second wrap if I find bubbles? How long should I let it sit after wrapping before use? I think it will be much easier down the road if I need to reguide the blank. Has anyone tried this before? What kind of electrical tale is the best? I think I am on to something here. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: That perfect finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2010 01:29PM

I'm hoping that you're joking.

Perfect epoxy finish is simple - put the finish on and leave it alone. Don't mess with it, don't heat it, don't move it around, don't labor over it. Leave it alone. Note the epoxy left in your mixing cup - I'll bet it's perfect, smooth and level. That's because you didn't mess around with it.

If you have RodMaker Volume 9 #1, read it. It will put you on the simple path to perfect epoxy finish jobs.

Beyond all this, if you're still not convinced, go buy a small can of exterior grade, clear gloss urethane. Put on 3 or 4 wet coats about an hour apart. You'll have a nice looking finish job and it'll hold up for at least a few seasons (perhaps longer) before you'd need to recoat or anything.

Posted by: Tom Nair (64.62.123.---)
Date: June 26, 2010 01:59PM

Tom, a little humor is always good!

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 02:17PM

I have seen low-end factory rods at the big box stores with guides secured by shrink tube. It wasn't pretty.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 03:38PM

TOM NAIR:

Ensure you use 5 full turns of Scotch Super 88 and not the 33. I have used this method for nearly 30 years and it works quite well; no reason for all that fancy thread wrap. And, Scotch makes all different colors now to appeal to all of the color challenged folks.

Get creative too; I do. Take several different colors for that fresh off the dimestore look.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 08:17PM

All too much work. Just dip the feet in Rod Bond, position them on the blank, and you're ready to go. TRUE invisible wraps...

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: June 27, 2010 11:49AM

Have you tried the Bugs Bunny bandaids for the kids rods?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: June 27, 2010 02:32PM

Forget the tape, go with the good stuff and use two turns of #69 nylon to hold the guides in place and cover with JB Weld

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 27, 2010 08:14PM

Ok..heres my last shot...

Multi-colored zip ties...small ones are great!

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2010 10:23PM

Tom, for me if use color preserver, then u need to go on to the blank to seal the thread....if no color perserver was used, then just covering the thread will suffice. I rarely use color preserver and usually just cover the threads......except for the 18 inch mark and the base near the handle......

As for the finish.....try 70 / 30 with thread master and flex coat (both lite).....coat the non moving rod and wick the excess.....for me...NO BUBBLES and perfectly level.....THANKS MARK GRIFFIN,......

Terry

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 11:56AM

Thanks for the smile. Always welcome on a Monday morning. ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster