I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay power wrapper question.
Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: June 24, 2010 01:13PM

I got a PacBay power wrapper a while ago and it came with two bases, each 4ft long. Since 8ft (7ft) is not enough all the time, I recently got another 4ft base to extend the wrapper to 12ft (11ft working). The two original bases kind of fit together, there is still a tiny difference between them. The new base I got, came warped and did not fit smooth...in fact the thread carousel could not pass the joint not even pushed. I called the seller (........) and they sent a replacement but this is also not fitting OK. Also the replacement it looks like it was used before, with lint and marks in small places. I tried to make it fit at the joint but still has a gap. Will have to hand help the thread carousel over the base joint. The problem I found is that the extruding die is different between them, like each one was made by different co. or the die size was changed slightly.
I gave up in trying to have a GOOD wrapper. Does anybody know if the base is custom made for PacBay or is commercial? I would like to get the base in 1 pc. of 10-11ft long, in this way avoiding the joints that don't fit.

If you have a PacBay power wrapper, do you have the same problem? What happened to quality?

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay power wrapper question.
Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 03:28PM

It is not about quality as much as the cost. The tolerances and cost are always at odds on this kind of stuff. Sure, you could run the tolerances down so that any two parts from any numbers of fabricators would fit together like a Swiss watch but at what cost? Would you pay 4 - 5 times the price for a better fit?

I just measure the two halfs of my machine. The difference between the two mating surfaces where the thread carriage rides was right around 0.001 - 0.002”. That’s pretty darn good a “cheap” extrusion.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 03:43PM

Get a Renzetti Unless they are off also ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2010 03:43PM

Mine is a Pac Bay RW-XL with the tubes, so I don't have that problem, although the nifty add-ons (tail stock, tool rest, etc.) aren't available for it yet. The tubes and the track for the thread carriage all mate up great, and I have been pleased with the quality of it so far. I know this isn't helping you with the problem. I am just saying that I have been pleased with the quality of the Pac Bay equipment. Sounds like the first one you got was damaged and the second one used? Maybe the problem isn't Pac Bay?

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 03:45PM

Where ever you got it go back to them.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 24, 2010 06:06PM

You got a tolerance of 0.001-0.002"??? Mine is off by 1/16"
Interesting that PacBay does not have a phone listed...Maybe they don't want to be bothered?...too many complaints?
Is not the first time I had problems with my PacBay wrapper:
- PacBay aluminum head stock with self centering chuck wabbles a lot, could not peel off an apple. Took it apart and fixed it. Now is 95% OK.
- PacBay tail stock with self centering cone, the first one, the cone would NOT turn, sent it back and the replacement has a lot of play in it, I have to tape it to hold it in place.
Also lately, the aluminum PacBay gimbals look like cheap cast and polished aluminum. The fighting channel cuts are rough and uneven. I remember the old ones that were machined and looked very clean.
Is not a secret that the parts are made in China, maybe even Chine is sub-contracting now to save costs.
Just disapointed that I get cheap parts at the same price...when is it going to stop and get good quality like before?

Recycle electrons.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 06:40PM

My clemens was only 6 feet bought a renzetti bed section fits good on top where it counts

Posted by: roger wilson (---.itstriangle.net)
Date: June 25, 2010 01:48PM

Take your bases over to a machine shop and have them put a finished end on each end of each base.
If you have a mismatch on one of the bases, have the machinest clean up the difference in the bases. He can use a router to get a perfect match for each of the bases and so that the bases will universally fit.

The cost will be modest.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: June 25, 2010 04:08PM

I would like to respond to a few issues mentioned in this string.

Extrusions:
We are using the same extrusion die we always have so the bases should fit. I would think that damage in transit or possibly a less than square cut on the parent extrusion could be causing the issue. Either way we are always happy to make an effort to remedy the situation. Another possiblility is that it is not a PacBay replacment base. Multiple compeditors have replicated our wrapper very closely over the years so it can be difficult to tell if what you have is authentic.

Chuck and Tail Stock:
It has been my personal experience that the cone on the tail stock won't turn if the tail stock adjustment is too tight. Our rod lathes and all related tools are subject to stringent quality control measures. They also carry one of the best warranties in the business and are supported with as much customer service as it takes to keep the customer happily building rods.

Aluminum Gimbals:
After reading the above statements I pulled the product from our inventory. I did find a couple of gimbals with rough spots near the cross cut. The issue will be corrected immediately and these items will be subject to an elevated level of quality control. These are still machined (not cast) as are all of our aluminum parts. PacBay greatly values the input of our cutomers regarding quality issues such as these.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: June 25, 2010 04:18PM

Thank you for reply. I have used PacBay for a long time and still use, just wanted to post and make sure the quality of the products are the same as they used to be before.

Recycle electrons.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2010 06:39PM

To: Geoff Staples.
I am waiting for the rodsmith RW-XL tubular lathe, from @#$%& .com, and I want you to know that I have heard some having problems with theres and some that say they like using it, so If I have any problems with it, I will let you know, since you seem to know what would be the problem, I'm hoping that it will be in good working condition with no problem, So it was nice hearing from you , that you are concerned about the product that the company makes, that is a relief to hear, Thank You!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster