I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carp Rod builds
Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 09, 2010 11:43AM

Am looking to build a few carp rods for myself "method" fishing. Looking at factory rods, I have never seen such one sided thinking in any type of rod builds/fishing. For those that have not seen carp rod factory builds, it really takes a looking to see what I mean. Typical builds have 6 guides on 13' rods and 6 also on 12' rods 2.5-3.5lb "test curve" rods. Usual sizes go from about 50mm down to tips that usually have 10mm-12mm. I do not what this. Wondering, are these rods based off the old "cone of flight" theory? Many times carpers are fishing around 4-8oz of weight on the casts (2-5oz lead and around 3oz of bait). 30lb-40lb mainlines in either mono or superlines of some sort, fishing distances up to 150 yrds--big casts, average casts 80-110yds.

Ok, what I am looking for advice-wise is this--have built a dozen or so rods for salmon pier casting using the concept system, and want to do the system for these rods. Basically no one that I have seen carp fishing does this. Am I missing something by thinking this would be the way to go on these rods??? The system works great for surf fishing/casting, correct? Am I missing something why these rods have only six guides.

Thanks, Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carp Rod builds
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2010 11:51AM

Most likely it's a cost saving measure along with older ideas about spinning guide set up. How much do these rods you're talking about cost?

I've built many carp rods for anglers over the years. Although most were using baitcasting gear, if I were building one for a spin fishermen I'd almost certainly use the NGC keeping in mind any leaders or knots that would affect the required size of the running guides.

Posted by: Vince Nadosky (---.jonathanscott.com)
Date: June 09, 2010 01:12PM

I would love to know who carries blanks similar the the 1 3/4 predators and 2 1/2 predators from cabellas these are carp rods and are real popular for catfish in my area. If anyone could tell me what blank matches up the best here I would appreciate it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 02:23PM

www.talongraphite.com.

Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 09, 2010 02:45PM

All would be spinning. The rods factory run up to $400. Some of it has to do w/ knots making it through the rod, but other than that, just don't see the point in the size and # of guides. Carp rods seem to be very similar in action/size/power of surf rods.

couple other questions--with the weights stated above, can anyone see issues w/ running single foot titanium guides vs the double foots that are on all these rods? 8's should be doable for running guides?...

T

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2010 06:12PM

The low frame fly type single foots, with a security wrap, will be fine. But if it doubt, use low frame dbl. foot casting guides for the runners.

Posted by: Richard Cake (---.plus.com)
Date: July 06, 2010 02:58AM

I build a few carp rods here in the UK.

I sponsor one full-time carp angler and his preference is for 50mm butt guides and size 16 tip guide. He says that when he's playing carp into the 30-40lb mark in weedy lakes the weed comes through the top guides and he can clear the weed at the front of the reel and not at the tip guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster