I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MICROWAVE GUIDE (Spinning Rods)
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 01:16PM

The "out of the box" micro brains have been very busy!

This one is for spinning rods - all line types.

The automatic stove timer just went off!

The door to the Secret Cooking in the Micro Wave is now wide open!

The secret "leaked" on other Internet Forums.

Functionality and credibility you bet!

Castaway, Airrus and Doug Hannon will demonstrate at ICAST!

Talk about new guide concept!

Custom builders will have controlled access to the components exclusively through Swampland Tackle.

Take a look! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks to all the Staff at Castaway who brought this exciting component to market.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 08:13PM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Wave (Micro Spinning Rods)
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 01:40PM

When would I be able to get some of those guides Bill?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 01:47PM

is that what it looks like --- a ring after a ring ??? If so--why not just use a high small ring guide.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 07, 2010 02:03PM

Bill B: Many why nots! Have you built a micro spinning rod? The proof is in the pudding!

Mike S: when you get one in your hand it will be MORE impressive than the all on top micro rod you threw at the Duck! The present plans include bringing them to the custom builder market as soon as possible after ICAST. These guides will be an exclusive to Castaway and Airrus production rods and quantities to custom builders will be controlled. We will keep everyone informed.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: June 07, 2010 03:33PM

We have a booth very close to the casting area at ICAST. Cant wait to see the demo on these.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 04:29PM

OK.......what is it doing? There is nothing different in the picture from a regular spinning rod on a cast?

Posted by: gena box (---.consolidated.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 04:44PM

The MICROWAVE "puts a new spin on micro rods". Not only does it increase distances dramatically, the MICROWAVE makes it possible to use large or small spinning reels and flouro as well as braid with micro guides. It was developed by Doug Hannon for Wave Spin Reels and is exclusively licensed to CastAway and Airrus Rods. A patent has been applied for and the name MICROWAVE is trademarked.

CastAway was the first production company to introduce a micro guide rod at ICAST in Orlando in 2009. So we are especially excited to release the MICROWAVE at ICAST in July this year. A picture is worth a thousand words, so we will post an unretouched photo using a 1/10,000 second camera that demonstrates the effectiveness of this amazing new guide. We believe it is simply awesome.

We will be able to release more information at a later time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2010 05:03PM

John,

If you're old enough to remember the 1950's "Funnel" spinning guide, you will recognize this as a modern version without the tube. The idea is to quickly funnel the line down between the opening and the closing so that the line coming out of the back of the funnel, or in this case the small ring, will be fully under control and can then be sent on to a smaller 2nd guide.

If you want to test its effectiveness you'll need one of the new guides, plus another butt guide of the same size and height as this one, but without the small back ring - in other words a standard butt guide. Set the guides up as normal with your regular butt guide and make enough casts to obtain some sort of average. Then swap out the butt guide for the new microwave guide and repeat your casting session. This is one of those things that you can easily test for yourself if you're willing to put in an hour's time out in your yard.

Posted by: Eric Brown (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 05:38PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These guides will be an exclusive to Castaway and Airrus production rods and quantities to custom builders will be controlled.

Bill what exactly does this mean? All custom builders can buy but they will not sell huge quanitites as to keep them out of the hands of other production companies....maybe?

Date: June 07, 2010 06:14PM

This is premature - not official or final.

Castaway/Airrus desires to restrict the use off the MICROWAVE guides.

Their primary business is selling production rods.

They want to reward custom builders, one of their valued customers, for stimulation of the intital micro guide thought process.

Castaway/Airrus wants to insure custom rod builders have access to a reasonalble number.

All custom builders will have an annual allowance of MICROWAVE guides with the added incentive of additional MICROWAVE guides for custom rodbuilders who purchase Castaway blanks.

Date: June 07, 2010 07:24PM

Just answer my question ??? Is it or not

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 07:55PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just answer my question ??? Is it or not

Yes. Read Gena's and Tom K's post again if you already haven't.

Lance

Date: June 07, 2010 08:10PM

Bill B: This thread is informative to provide information on new products.

If you desire to get your question of "why not" answered please consider starting a new thread.

Second view of Castaway/Airrus Microwave Guide - please note the level of line control to the righ of the frame.

Photo courtesy of Gena Box President of Castaway Manufactureing.

When the picture opens on the Photo Board click on it to enlarge and scrool to center the guide in the view.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 08:20PM by Bill Stevens.

Re: MICROWAVE GUIDE (Spinning Rods)
Date: June 07, 2010 08:31PM

Bill (Boettcher),

If you could obtain a very small ring in a super high frame, which is what you'd need to duplicate this in a single guide, you'd find that it doesn't work as well. Again, this concept amounts to a funnel of sorts, rather than a sudden small opening.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I can tell you from experience that the "microwave" guide, used where applicable (it's not going to be practical for all situations and with all line sizes and types) will net you roughly 3% greater distance over an already well thought out and implemented guide system when the microwave guide is substituted for your regular butt guide.

I have not used this particular guide as it's new and not yet on the market, but I've worked on something similar for many years now, most recently in early 2009: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I strongly suspect the results will be similar. Although, one of the most enjoyable things about custom rod building is trying new things and deciding for yourself it something is worthwhile or not. Just set up a rod with your best guide system and then substitute one of the new microwave guides and see for yourself if it's worthwhile or not.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 08:48PM

Bill,
If you plan, as you say, to restrict the sale of these guides to custom rod builders that do not use the Castaway blanks and/or you plan to limit, as you say, the supply of the guides to custom rod builders so as to limit the competition to the Castaway production rods I think you should look up the Robinson/Packman Act. I am no lawyer but I think that you will probably be breaking the federal anti-trust laws.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 08:50PM by Emory Harry.

Date: June 07, 2010 09:08PM

This is the same thing as a 20 or a 16 down to a 8 or smaller

Rollo me one of what ever you guys are smoking ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 07, 2010 09:46PM

Bill,

Fishing line, particularly braid, is very flexible. It will go where you direct it. I'd suggest you either cook up the same sort of guide set up in the photo I linked to, or wait for the microwave guides to become available and buy one. Then try it for yourself.

From firsthand experience, I can tell you that with light and/or limp line, it's certainly not going to hurt anything and you can even expect to gain a little bit more distance for the same effort. Just be realistic in your expectations.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 10:39PM

So approximately a 3% gain for how much increase in cost of the microwave guide versus a standard guide?

Date: June 08, 2010 03:17AM

So every time a new thing comes out we all should buy it -- Even if it makes no sense ??

I think you guys are going a - lot - over board here. This is a fishing rod - not a darn rocket ship

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 08, 2010 07:36AM

Bill,

No one is trying to sell you anything. It's just something you can try if you wish to have some fun and perhaps gain a little more experience.

I will grant you that the claims that will be made about the microwave guide are going to seem a little over the top, but you have to remember these folks are selling fishing rods to a highly competitive group of fishermen and marketing and advertising are important to those sales. My guess is that the guide and marketing program will sell a ton of rods.

At least if you try one you'll be better able to inform your customers as to the actual benefits (when they exist) when they ask you.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster