I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can you wrap a guide too tight???
Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 04:47PM

Okay, seeing the post and photos on rods breaking and the cork being too tight got me thinking. Can a guide wrap be too tight with the standard size A threads? The ones I have built have been pretty tight and I broke thread a couple of times on my first couple of rods until I got the hang of it. I just seems to me the thread would break first before it could damage the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you wrap a guide too tight???
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 04:51PM

Absolutly!!
you can wrap them tight enough to actually push the guide foot into the structure of the blank causing failure of the blank at some future point.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2010 05:52PM

Right - it's not the thread itself that causes the damage - it's the guide foot being bound too tightly into the blank by the thread. This is mostly a problem on thin walled graphites, not so much on heavier saltwater rods or older glass type rods.

Posted by: Barry Harlowe (208.72.79.---)
Date: June 07, 2010 07:21PM

So how tight is too tight.....and how do you know when then tension is right.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 08:20PM

Pull the thread off of the spool with 2 fingers. If it slips in your hands.......TOO tight. Light and yet snug will serve you well. The only thing that should be tight is the tie offs on butt wraps.

Date: June 07, 2010 08:33PM

When you wrap a guide, you should be able to shift it slightly with firm yet subtle sideways pressure. If you can't shift it, your thread tension is too high. If it slips easily, your tension is too loose.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 10:45PM

Hey Tom,Can you find the thread bout my guide I wrapped to tight?
I cant find it.It was the story.
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 10:51PM

I found the thread but I dont know how to link it here.
Do a search with "Thread Tightness"
its a good story.
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Date: June 08, 2010 07:42AM

Mike,

When you bring the thread up on your computer, just to into the URL window at the top of your browser and copy that address and then paste it into your message.

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 08:31AM

Thanks guys. Glad I ask. All of my rods so far have been for myself or friends and family but none have broken yet (knock on wood). I've always filed the backside of the foot to eliminate any burs that may penetrate the surface of the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 01:23PM

I always check the tension buy, if I can pack the threads with I guess is firm or medium pressure its OK if they give me a hard time I loosen the tension. Just my way of checking.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2010 09:42AM

Also I have found that with the tension too tight it may be difficult to get the thread started climbing the guide foot.

I would also say if you are breaking thread just wrapping it is most likely waaaaaaay too tight.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster