I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ruler
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 02, 2010 11:32PM

I was trying to figure what ruler rod builder use to measure each guides on rod like 3, 5,10, and more do u use 1 ft ruler or a 3 ft ruler ? or a both well i'm trying to get some advice so i can run and get ruler to measure guide placement from a chart under st. croix but i still trying to contact lamiglas company about the chart for muskie rods,
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ruler
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2010 11:44PM

I find a tape measure to be the best thing. I put the rod on the carpet and run the tape measure next to it. Then I put the guides on with surgical tubing and static test.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 06:43AM

I use one of the carpenters folding rulers.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 08:01AM

I use a sewing tape none stretchable flexible strip marked with inches. I bought mine at Joans sewing and fabric store.I'll try to send you a photo. They also have them with a peel off back for you to stick down on your work bench.

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: June 03, 2010 10:04AM

I epoxied a fabric tape measure to edge of my work bench. On the end I nailed in a little piece of wood that sticks out at a 90 degree angle that acts as a stop right where the tape measure begins.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.gc.ca)
Date: June 03, 2010 10:41AM

Another suggestion for a tape to put on the bench:

[www.leevalley.com]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 03, 2010 12:35PM

i bought a sticky backed ruler that fit in the thread carriage track on my power wrapper. Works great, the track kind of helps to hold the rod.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 02:52PM

Sticky Backed fish measuring ruler stuck to rod table.

DR

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: June 03, 2010 03:28PM

Giant 5'0" metal carpenter's ruler ... available at home supply stores for less than $10.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 05:55PM

Sometimes I use an architect ruler for the layout of the guide wraps/trim bands/inlays. All of the layout info is placed on an index card, one for each guide size. I use a regular tape measure some. Typically I'll do a static deflection test and mark guide ring location on the blank with a china marker. At that point guide location is fixed and I have no need to measure. I just place the guide on the mark and use a piece of masking tape i(n the width I want) and place one on each side of the guide's feet. That sets the length of my underwrap.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 07:43PM

Josh,
I simply use a tape measure with a locking tape.
It is small fits the hand and it is easy to extend as much tape as needed.

Generally, I don't care much about the absolute spacing of the guides from the tip to the butt.
More often I am simply checking on the distance from one guide to the next when laying out the guides.
Therefore I seldom need a tape that measures much more than about 2 feet. Easy with the tape measure.
I tried using a ruler, but found it too big and bulky.
I tried using a scale that was on the bench, but found it too difficult to get good measurements.
I rather use the tape that is virtually touching the rod for exact guide measurements.
When, not needed, I retract the tape lock, the tape retracts and it fits nicely on the back of the bench out of the way.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 01:09PM

I usually use 6" and 12" stainless rulers but also use regular tape measures on occasion.
I really like the 6" for laying out wraps becuse it is small and easy to manouver.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster