I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Line slap
Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:38PM

I built a 7' spinning rod for a buddy of mine. He has it spooled up with 14# florocarban. He took it out to use it for the first time this weekend and said the line is slapping his fingers on the cast. The line is not slapping during the retrieve, only the cast. I used an AmTak HLGSF30 as my first guide. I don't remember my spacing off the top of my head.

would the line slapping on the cast be a guide placement issue or possibly due to over spooling on his reel.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line slap
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:54PM

Where are his fingers?

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:59PM

Bill, you bring up a very good questions. LOL

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 02:24PM

14lb fluorocarbon and spinning rods will never be a winning combination, he would be much better off using braid main line and a fluorocarbon leader. Maybe you can make it better by using small ring, tall frame match guides for the transition guides, that is all I use anymore on spinning rods.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 02:41PM

Bill's point is a good one.

I would have to guess on the foregrip. If that is the issue, it's a guide placement issue. Moving the butt guide closer to the reel even just an inch or two may make all the difference in the world.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 01, 2010 02:46PM

I'm with Bill too. It might be interesting to watch. Entertaining even!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 02:53PM

Is the 30 ring 1/2 the size of the spool face ?

If you notice the guides you used are an all purpose guide. Spinning yet low frame. The ( A frame guides are a higher framed guide.

The ( M ) is even higher.

When I do a spinner I set my line path - though- the ring not over it.

Also how fare is the butt guide from the spool face.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: June 01, 2010 02:59PM

Any idea on the spool size?...Flurocarbon is such stiffer line compared to Mono...Plus at 14lbs I can see the line wanting to fly off the spool when you open the bale like a spring!..I personally never use anything over 8lb test for my spinning rigs...

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 01, 2010 03:11PM

FWIW I have a lot of older spinning reels in the 15 and 20# class and a high(ish) frame 40 is generally needed. But these are reels that hold approx. 250 yards of line.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2010 03:57PM

The normal position for the reel hand on a spinning rod is around the reel stem, putting 1 or 2 fingers in front of the stem and the rest behind it. This puts the hand behind the spool. Therefore, it would be impossible for the line to slap his fingers.

Ask him where his hand is on the rod when he experiences this line slap. My guess is that he's putting a hand somewhere forward of the reel which. In this case, the only thing at fault is hand position.

Date: June 01, 2010 04:11PM

The line is - NO Ware Near - his hand

Tom is right. Don't make sense

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.106.150.esconett.org)
Date: June 01, 2010 04:15PM

with a spinner i fish with the stem between my pinky and ring finger, I have felt a stiff line hit my hands before, but only when I am really trying to reach out there on a cast.

Date: June 01, 2010 04:18PM

Sounds like your hand is so far forward, its over the spool and maybe the line coming off the spool is hitting your hand ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 01, 2010 04:20PM

You'd have to get the reel hand forward a bit to come into contact with the line. Three fingers in front of the stem might do it, if the line is stiff enough.

Date: June 01, 2010 04:29PM

I hear ya Tom, but would you call that - line slap ??

Then again unless the rod is in your hand, but still ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.106.150.esconett.org)
Date: June 01, 2010 05:29PM

I only have that happen when fishing off the jetty with 50# big game line on a spinning rod and trying to chuck it way out there. Never with my inshore set ups. I think it is the stiff line that uncoils it self.

Date: June 01, 2010 05:41PM

I would call it something that isn't indicative of any problem with the rod or how it was built - more a problem of how the fisherman is holding his rod. However, one of the goals of a custom builder is to satisfy the needs of the customer. This is why I'd ask where and how he holds the rod when casting and see if there is any way to remedy what the customer sees as a problem. If so, the builder will come off looking just that much better to the customer. There might be an opportunity here.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 06:59PM

Ok gang! LOL!

The guy is claiming he had the reel stem between his ring and middle finger......he actually said that on his first cast the line hit his fingers, but he caught a fish, so he didn't pay attention. The next several casts, he said the line was coming off the reel catching his fingers and cutting them.....

Ok.. that being said. I am going to have to do some more digging into this situation. After thinking about it myself. I'm not sure how he is getting this if he is holding it like that. The line would have to be coming backwards....

Date: June 01, 2010 08:08PM

OK

If he has his hand so far forward, would a higher frame , even the same size, - I don't like a 30 - would that bring the line from off the spool face father away from the blank and yet father away from his hand ???

Then maybe a smaller ring make the coils smaller help ?? A taller guide and gravity bringing the line father from the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:55PM

The gravity of this situation is bewildering to the mass(es).

One solution has not been proposed.

If the injury to the hand is serious someone should say mass!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster