I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Micro Guides... new player
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2010 07:25PM

I have a feeling there will be many new players over the next year or two.

Bill B.
If you take the time to learn the trick Tom shared, you'll find it won’t be long before you can do it in the dark or even with your eyes closed.

Barry;
“Any time a bandwagon comes along and you intend to jump upon it, you must have a name for it. The pity is that these things have a way of coming around to bite themselves in the behind.”

Your comment got me to thinking about the band wagons I watched builders/companies jump on in the last few years
Micro guides, split grips, no foregrips, poured foam handles, composite skinned handles, the offset graphite Tennessee handle, computer thread weaving programs, advances in blank designs, holographic thread wraps, ergonomic handle designs, International Custom Rod Builders Expo, CCS system, the new guide spacing concept.

Will you tell me which of the above have bitten themselves in the behind?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 07:50PM

Alex

That is another thing I hate LOL When fly fishing And then pulling the rod apart when it gets hot in the late afternoon

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 08:03PM

Since we now seem to have a quorum let take this one step furthur.

Do a search of micro rod ICAST reviews for 2009. You will find that Castaway, one of the sponsors on this forum, presented the first and only micro rod submitted, by an official registered booth purchaser, to the ICAST Showcase at Orlando in 2009.

This first "Castaway Micro Skeleton" rod was presented to Tom Kirkman by Steve Gardner at the ICRBE reception in High Point in February. Had it not been for Bill Batson, Rodmaker Magazine and this forum there would be no micro rods today. If you do not understand this paragraph fully do a search on this forum for "M&M Volume and change the date option to "all".

If you want to build and sell rods to inshore and bass anglers for YOUR price at YOUR warranty terms this is the best opportunity you will ever have.

If you are turned off by all of micro stuff try something new that was learned by the M&Ms - build a bait casting rod with all size six guides - all the same size no huge butt guide choker or stripper - call it your special MACRO ROD - If there are rock throwers present chunk them at Gary Klein and Rich Forhan!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 09:02PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 08:57PM

One of three orders for micro rods this week -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Do the work and learn to build the right rod for your market

Contact Us and we will help you get set up to sell them!

At YOUR price point with YOUR Warranty Terms

[swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 09:04PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: May 12, 2010 09:06PM

As an advocate of what many choose to call "micro guides" it is apparent that my comments are above the comprehension of many of those who responded. I will retire from this topic with more than a bit of amusement.

Posted by: David Page (---.166.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 09:24PM

It almost 2 years ago when I built my first micro rod for a buddy of mine that I work with. I told him then it would only be a year or 2 before he would start seeing manufacturers with their own micro rods. He got his rod home and all of his friends were laughing at him and saying they were to small and such. He fished with one and outcasted him all day, same with the next and so on. 3 weeks later one of his buddy's called me wanting a "Micro rod". As Lance said, not a rod with those little bitty guides or anything like that. I've now sold over 20 rods to that group of friends all of which have asked for them by name. I only have 1 customer who will not have a rod with micro guides and as Bill said I build all of his rods with size 6 guides. Other than his 3 rods I haven't built a rod with anything other than micro guides in close to 2 years now and where I was having to give explanations and let everyone cast my rods now I they're asking for them. I'm a small time "hobbyist" builder who builds nothing but bass fishing rods and I have what I would consider to be a VERY small network to work within and I don't have "sell" anything now. That's being taken care of by my customers now so I would say these rods are here to stay as well.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster