I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Object inlaid in cork
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 01:08AM

A very good freind asked me to inlay a lapel pin into a cork handle for a planned build. I didn't make any promises yet and I just got the pin at about 2" long and 1/2" wide. Is there a good way to do this without the epoxy ruining the cork? I had planned to use a preformed grip for a Fuji IPSM(?) seat but now I think the only way is to use a full size, raw cork grip, make & fill the cavity with the inlay, and turn down to required size. Open to ideas...

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Object inlaid in cork
Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 07:56AM

you could do a section of cork then build up a plastic section ( or a block of plastic )then a cork section. in the plastic section cut the cavity out and install the pin and epoxy over it and turn it down to match the cork round size ..huh?

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: May 12, 2010 08:52AM

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 11:14AM

in reference to what i was trying to enplane and (poorly i might add) is some of Mr. Henson's fine looking rods.

[www.hensonrods.org]
[www.hensonrods.org]
[www.hensonrods.org]

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 12, 2010 01:05PM

Thank you both. I'm pretty sure he'll buy into the idea of a plastic section for the inlay, not wood though. Where would be a good source for this type of plastic? and I'm assuming that rod finish is a suitable epoxy to fill it in with, or would another type of casting resin be better? I just don't do that kind of thing much.

Thanks again,
Steve

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 10:53AM

Steve there are many different places to purchase the plastic; one is Masecraft [www.masecraftsupply.com] . You can also use Horn, Wood and several other mediums to give the result that you are looking for. I have tried applying directly to cork and have had some problems with the resin lifting away from the cork over time. Hard mediums I haven't had an issue with so I've stuck with that. There are a couple of different ways to encase the fly, Terry had a tutorial floating around and he used regular epoxy. It takes a long time (around a month) for regular epoxy to set up to the point you can turn it and polish it, so that it is clear and level. I have been using casting resin from Michaels Craft store and it seems to give the same results with a day or two for cure time. Either method will work and I hope that you get a chance to play with it. Mark

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 02:43PM

If the handle is cork, why not glue as many pieces you need of cork together and inlay the pin in that. After filled and turned down insert it into the handle of the rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 14, 2010 09:20AM

Thanks Mark & Bill.

I think I'm going to use a cork rear & glass/foam core foregrip. I'll make a cavity in the foam core before it's laminated and inlay it there.

I'll still pick up some of that casting resin, lots of cool uses for that stuff I'm sure.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 01:41PM

Maybe a coat of color in the cavity to accent the pin ? Brighter back ground

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 12:37AM

I'll post pics ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster