I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Poll Question
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 04:37PM

The business side of custom rod building continues to interest me. This is sort of a poll question. What do you consider your biggest challenge in your custom rod building business. Is it reaching the right customer base? Is it convincing a fisherman that a custom rod can make his fishing more productive or fun? Is it trying to know what prices to charge in your local market? This question would naturally be for those who actually sell rods. I wonder if we all face similar problems or if they are different from region to region or rod type to rod type.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poll Question
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.209.95.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 06:21PM

Ken,
I tell my wife the most difficult part is that my customers are fishermen.
The stories are suspect. The pockets are shallow. The superstition is deeply rooted. The drinks are many.
Sorry you're trying to be serious, but I couldn't resist.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 07:42PM

EFFECTIVE marketing to your target demographic.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 07:59PM

Ditto what Gary said.

jeremy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2010 09:54PM

From the standpoint of the industry, the biggest problem these days is the tremendous over-saturation of the market with blanks, components and related rod building supplies. The supply is simply far, far greater than the demand.

There are only two possible solutions. One is to create a lot more rod builders and sell a lot more custom rods. The other is to watch some of the manufactures and dealers go by the wayside. The former is possible but not without a concerted effort by the industry. And if this is not done, the latter will be the most probable outcome and, in fact, is one which has already started.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.210.168.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 10:07PM

On the serious side.
If fishing license sales continue to slide and children have little time or motivation to fish the end will approach.
Take a kid fishing. Give them the same passion that we have for it and in time it may improve.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 08, 2010 09:55AM

For me here in my area it seems to be all about eye candy. The pier rats want show rods for bragging rights. The inshore guys just want to impress one another and say look at my new toy.The Cattle boat guys want cheap junk that looks good. My question would be, don't anyone just want a simple gear grinding fishing machine rod anymore?

Gulf Shores AL

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 08:17AM

Tom Wicker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My question would be, don't anyone just want a
> simple gear grinding fishing machine rod anymore?

Yep. I do very little in the way of "bling" but I sell ALOT of rods for a part timer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster