I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foam on Rod
Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-72-101-245.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 02:06PM

Today is a foam day and I'm getting really serious about perfecting the pour directly onto the blank. The only thing I'm hesitating on is the adhesion level of foam. I'm wondering if anyone has tried applying epoxy to the blank and then going immediately into the pour? Any idea if the wet epoxy and wet foam will react or negatively impact each other? My rationale is that a slow curing epoxy should adhere the foam to the blank, since the foam will cure much faster and provide a hard bonding surface, but I can only guess.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foam on Rod
Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: April 30, 2010 02:24PM

Man I'm thinking a spare piece of blank test is in order.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 02:34PM

I'd try that out first and go from there.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 30, 2010 02:41PM

Hello Jason

Good idea, let us know how it turns out, and the procedure used to achive your results.

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 03:00PM

I myself would rather make a grip off the rod in case it messes up.

Jive it a try ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2010 03:39PM

The foam will adhere - you do not need nor do you want to put any epoxy on the blank. Do keep in mind that the only way to remove it will be to shave, sand, etc., as the bond is tenacious.

Posted by: Brad Kemis (---.fw2.onvoy.net)
Date: April 30, 2010 04:07PM

Like Tom said - you do not want to use epoxy, the bond is incredible. I applied the foam directly to a few blanks and in the end decided it wasn't worth the effort. Much harder to turn and if I made a mistake it took a lot of work to get back to square one, also a took a lot more work to get the carbon skin to a point I was happy with. Never again, I think I still have a blank sitting in the corner with unturned foam on it.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-72-101-216.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 05:50PM

Thanks Tom and Brad for info on the bond. I suspected this would be the case with the bond, knowing how hard it is to scrape off things, but wasn't sure if the elements would weaken it. What was it that made the skin more work on the rod, Brad? I haven't jumped in yet, so the more info I can get the better. I'm working on some things out of the box that may (hopefully) be easier on the blank. I'll definitely use cheap fiberglass blanks for testing.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr02.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 10:15AM

I think would use a broken arrow from a friend or a local archery club. Or, a cheap new arrow from Wal Mart as a test stick. Maybe $1.75?

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2010 12:27PM

As Tom said, the foam will stick just fine; as in any adhering you do want to make sure you have a water break free surface. Like Brad, I'll build my grips seperate and mount to the blank once I'm sure I like what I have. I do pour the foam directly on the blank to mount reel seats rather than shaping/reaming/gluing arbors but if you don't want a mess you need to be careful about the measuring and capping/sealing the reel seat ends...
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-221-122.myvzw.com)
Date: May 02, 2010 05:34PM

Thanks everyone. I decided after staring at it for a while that it was a better idea to get semi captive molds made first and try it with those. That way there little to no turning to worry about. I'll post the results after I get something workable.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: Brad Kemis (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 03, 2010 08:58PM

I couldn't find a good way to finish the carbon. I really think its a nice touch to not use a winding check and that is not possible casting the foam on the blank.

I've also thought of using a mold but was concerned that the release agent would not allow the epoxy to bond to the foam. If you figure this out Jason let me know!

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-221-61.myvzw.com)
Date: May 04, 2010 04:46PM

We'll do, Brad. I'll start a new thread after I have some results to share.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster