I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

strange lite build results
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 01:09PM

So I followed the mixing instructions on the box for the lite build flexcoat, and mixed thoroughly...put a saturating coat on the wraps...used a brush to remove the excess after coating all wraps...the rod is a split grip there are winding checks that I wrapped against each grip...and those were the two wraps I started coating...those two wraps are tacky to the touch...the wraps and logo sticker that I coated have set completely, as have a few of the butt guides...the tip top is also set normally...but the guides between the butt guides and the tip are tacky to the touch...

Has anyone experienced this before? Will an extremely thin layer of lite build painted on help to make it set? Or just make it worse?

Thanks,
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: strange lite build results
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 01:13PM

Mix up another batch and re coat you will be fine

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2010 01:32PM

I'm assuming that you applied your epoxy directly from the mixing cup? If so, I can explain what you've experienced.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 01:49PM

Tom, please do...for everyone's benefit.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 28, 2010 01:51PM

when you first start mixing sometimes you get a little bit of part A or B coated onto the side of the cup and it doesn't get mixed in thoroughly. when you load up your brush in different areas, its possible to pick up some excess of the un-mixed parts and that will throw your mix-ratio out of whack.

i mix with a cup but use my spatula - i mix very slowly and thoroughly and make sure to scrape the edges of the cup frequently to ensure this doesn't happen.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 01:53PM

Sounds like you mix it but just not long enough to get a complete mix and got some slightly off mix from the sides of the cup.

I always tilt my cups as I mix to make sure the finish is mixed on the sides, and also turn as I mix.

It may still dry just take a little longer ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 03:11PM

I dont ever scrape the sides of the cup OR apply from it. Both = bubbles and troubles for me.

Put the 2 parts in the cup

Mix extremely well: (Stir 100 strokes right, 100 strokes left, 25 right again, 25 left again is my method)

Place a 4" X 4" aluminum foil (Reynolds wrap or the like) square on the table

Pour mixed finish onto foil

Apply from foil

Works every time

edit: mixing tool is a flat stainless steel spatula

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 03:12PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 28, 2010 03:54PM

I got some of these at the show and love them. [www.mudhole.com]
They make mixing epoxy much easier since the bottom is nice and smooth and you re mixing a wide thin mix the creation of bubbles is drastically reduced, and those that do appear have an easier time dissipating. Being made from aluminum the dish acts like a heat sink just like pouring it on foil

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2010 04:42PM

Justin hit the nail on the head. Any time you have some guide wraps where the finish hardens properly, and others where it doesn't, you almost certainly picked up some epoxy from the side of the mixing cup that wasn't thoroughly blended.

Date: April 28, 2010 04:51PM

Never did that aluminum foil thing and never had any that did not dry Lucky I guess Or good.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 29, 2010 02:13AM

Im with bill, always applied right out of the cup and never had any issues. I use an automatic mixer though.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 02:51AM

Ken,
I agree with the analysis, i.e. picking up unmixed epoxy.
When finishing I do the following.
1. I use syringes to insure that I have a 1:1 mix of parts A and B by volume.
2. I mix in a plastic cup, using a craft stick with a flat end.
3. I frequently scrape the sides, mix, scrape off the craft stick and continue to mix.
4. I mix for a minimum of 120 seconds of 2 minutes by the clock.

No issues ever.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 03:01AM

Thanks for all the advice and info!

So will a new, extremely thin coat of lite build solve the tackiness issue, or will I just need to rewrap?

Thanks,
Ken

Date: April 29, 2010 08:03AM

Yes Just watch how it is mixed

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster