I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra Light
Posted by: Tom Loew (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 01:34PM

Hi
I'm building a 7' ultra light rod S841-MHX.
Using the 27x method i come up with 25-16-10-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-plus tip top.
Does this sound close?
Also,how do you apply a decal to a cork foregrip?
Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra Light
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 01:45PM

I think it looks like a few more guides than really needed. I'd say you can get by with 7 plus tip pretty easy on that rod - although most would say 8 plus tip.

I have applied a lot of decals to cork fore grips. It depends on what kind of decal, but I have done it by first coating the cork with CP, then decaling and rod finish over, and also with an under coat of rod finish-decal- top coat of rod finish.

Good Luck,

Marc

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2010 02:20PM

What size line do you plan to use? My guess is that if you're using light mono or braid, you can easily get by with a size 20 butt guide, provided it has the height you need. I'd also get rid of a few of those running guides. A total of 8 plus a tiptop should easily be enough. If you are using light mono or braid, why not reduce the choke and running guide size to something a little smaller. Your rod will balance better and you'll preserve a bit better overall response.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 04:08PM

Tom L, like Tom K. said, go with smaller guide sizes. With an UL rod, I'm assuming you will be using 2-6lb line. If so, you can go with smaller guides and greatly improve the rod's performance. The biggest difference will be in your choker guide and runners. I'd recommend using something in size 4 or smaller. The difference between a rod built with 6's and a rod built with 4's is big.

jeremy

Date: April 24, 2010 04:15PM

Tom
I will be using 4# mono line.I used a size 25 guide because i needed the height.
Also,for the running guides when you say smaller do you mean micros?
If so,i've never used them before. Which one's would recommened.
Thanks
Tom

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 04:23PM

I have been very happy with Fuji BLAG alconites, size 4, on my S841-MHX

Rick

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 04:32PM

Like Rick, I've been happy with Fuji BLAG's in size 4. Great quality at a good price.

jeremy

Date: April 24, 2010 04:48PM

Do you use high frame guides to get down to the running guides?
Thanks Tom

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 05:28PM

I am building a spinning rod right now that casts fantastic and has a size 16 stripper guide, but it is a super high frame match guide. I used 16-10-6 match guides and then #4 Alconite running guides, the PacBay match guides match the Alconite guides fine only another rodbuilder would ever know they were different. This is a drop shot rod so I was not that concerned about how it would cast, but with 8lb mono and 1/8 oz weight it casts like a rocket.

Date: April 24, 2010 05:44PM

No, I don't necessarily mean micros (I'm not quite sure what size they have to be to earn that nomenclature), I mean whatever is the smallest guide you can effectively employ. That might be a size 2, or it could be a size 6. It's something you'll have to figure out on your end, but if your line will pass through it and you have no knots to pass (I assume you don't) I'd go as small as possible. There are many size 20 high frame ceramics and certainly the size 20 or even 16 ultra high frame Minima would easily handle your butt guide. My guess is that you only need the butt guide, one transition guide, then the choker and running guides (all the same size) and you'll be off to the races.

Date: April 24, 2010 07:57PM

Thanks for all the information and suggestions,i appreciate your input.
Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 08:22PM

Tom,
I would use the same setup as you suggested, except I would use a size 8 after the size 10.
I would also reduce the total number of guides to the minimum required to allow the line to follow the contour of the loaded blank.
Load the blank and only position a guide where it is necessary to direct the line to follow the contour of the blank.
This might mean that the guides are 3 inches apart of 23 inches apart. Use only enough to allow the line to properly load the blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 09:34PM

I agree with Roger, the guides listed in the initial post seems like a bit of over kill to me. A static test should prove this theory correct.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Date: April 24, 2010 09:43PM

I'm just guessing - you need to plot the line path for yourself but, something like 20 - 10 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - tiptop will likely be your set up.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: April 25, 2010 06:32AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm just guessing - you need to plot the line path
> for yourself but, something like 20 - 10 - 4 - 4 -
> 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - tiptop will likely be your set
> up.
>
>
> ..............

i just built one using a shimano 1000 size reel and ended up 20 - 10 - 5 - 5 - 5- 5 - 5, so i would say Tom K is spot on as usual. Rod wasnt for me and friend wanted a little larger guide thats why i went 5s. other wise i would use 4s if it were mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2010 06:33AM by Phil Brenner.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 25, 2010 04:00PM

And another suggestion: go with AMTAC Titan titanium guides, at least for the final 2-3' of blank to the tip. They aren't expensive, and their lack of mass will make a difference on this rod. Given that you will be starting with a 20 ring, you could actually go entirely with titanium, but you will see your biggest difference in a rod this light in the tip section.

Posted by: Anthony Reynolds (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 05:08AM

If you are going to be fishing in freezing conditions with this rod you might also want to consider using no smaller then 5's. The trout jig sticks that I make I use 20,12, 8, 7, 6, 5, 5 and the Tip Top. I fish a lot where it is freezing though reason for the size 5's and I have a little less trouble with the guides becoming iced up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster