I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Better late than Never
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 12:07PM

Wow. When Tom posted the pic of the squigley butt wrap several years ago I must have missed where he said how he did it. I never found it and gave up trying. So the new issue of Rodmaker comes yesterday and has all the info on the Free Form thread wraps. I stayed up until 2AM this morning trying it. It is VERY difficult just like the article says. But once mastered I can see how this opens up a whole new universe for decorative thread wrapping.

I almost got finished with my first decent attempt this morning and will pick up again this afternoon and finish it. While I was working I thought about what the article said about being able to sign your name with this technique. Radical. I haven’t even finished my first wrap and already I’m thinking about what I’m going to do with this next.

Thanks for sharing your technique Tom. This one opens up a whole new world. I’m thinking of signatures, multiple colors, criss-crosses and more. Too much to process this quickly but I’m REALLY excited.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Better late than Never
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2010 12:49PM

You didn't miss anything. Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't recall mentioning how I did it except to Mike Joyce and maybe a couple other guys. I had intended to pursue further variations of it but just never found the time. After this many years I decided to just put it out there and let you guys see where you can take it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 12:53PM

Any one got a link to a picture of it.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 24, 2010 01:08PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 24, 2010 02:30PM

O that one. I just used CP as a glue for the sharp turns. When done then CPed it and then finish.

Thanks Tom

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 24, 2010 05:50PM

There's a better way - you'll see when you get the magazine.

Posted by: Ray Nicholas (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2010 12:23PM

Tom, in your article you say you tried making the background tacky. Did you try the spray-on adhesive used in stenciling?

Date: April 25, 2010 12:38PM

Yes, with not very good results. At some point you have to use CP and or epoxy to cover the wrap and anything you have on that underwrap can affect your top coat. I tried several similar products and just couldn't get the final results I wanted. Some left fingerprints or marks from where I pushed the thread down to make the turns. Others weren't compatible with the CP and/or epoxy. But there may be some that will work and I just didn't hit on them. Give it a try and report back with your findings. The concept itself is sound and should open new doors in decorative thread art.

Date: April 25, 2010 05:13PM

I CP ed the under wrap then epoxied it. Then after it was dry I used CP to tack on the threads. Found it to work well. If I did not like the look, I could go over the CP and it would soften so I could move the threads.
Did not try but I would think that putting on the CP on the under wrap and then the top thread using CP would work also. Then a full coat of CP then finish. No compatibility problems.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 26, 2010 01:16PM

I was thinking along the same lins Bill. Brush the CP on the thread then lay it on, a few breaths then move on. I saw this over the weekend and went right down to the wrapping table and started picking out colors for one to try!

Date: April 26, 2010 04:31PM

Did this one but should have used a red instead of a brown ?? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2010 10:16AM

Bill,

That's certainly a good start. My problem with using CP was that I couldn't get the sharp turns I wanted - the CP wouldn't hold the thread in that manner. Check the cover of the magazine to see how much sharper those turns are.

It's possible that different CPs would be better than this than others. I hope guys like you will continue to experiment with the technique. That's why I put it in the magazine - to see where it can go.

Date: April 27, 2010 11:04AM

ya got me thinking Tom. Now I'm thinking of trying to wright my name holding the thread with a pick tool - to keep my fingers off - After making any sharp turns , putting on several drops of CP and setting it with a hair dryer.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2010 11:19AM

If you succeed, post a photo. It's another good use for the technique.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster