I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick Rods
Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: April 15, 2010 09:43AM

Does anyone know if Fenwick makes their own blanks or do they use someone elses?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2010 09:55AM

Fenwick is more of a name only these days. They're part of the "Pure Fishing" group (I can't recall the name of the latest corporation to buy them and their siblings) and source their blanks from an overseas supplier.

If you've been around awhile, you might recall that Fenwick was once a major force in rod building. With Don and Jim Green (no relation) doing their design work, they created many innovative firsts, such as the integral "Ferrulite Ferrule" and the world's first carbon fiber (graphite) rod blanks. But those days are long gone.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 15, 2010 11:41AM

It is a shame to see so many of the names from the past fall by the wayside.

I remember when shakespeare was a major force in all areas, from reels to rods to line. They were some of the first in pollution control too.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 12:49PM

When I believe Jim Green sold Fenwick Rods, He went to (Bambridge Island (spelled wrong)) in WA State an started Sage Rods. The green's have both past on. An we only have great memories of fishing with a super great innovative product of that period.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2010 01:06PM

No, Jim never owned Fenwick. You're thinking of Don Green, who worked at Fenwick and later founded the Sage Rod Company.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 01:56PM

Thanks Tom for the correction In any case the the designers who in the past brought to the forefront Custom roding blanks are all gone. I remember Fenwick had a paper back booklet that describe how to build your own rode, just basics no custom work. It even described how to do just a simple butt wrap

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: April 16, 2010 12:43PM

Hah. All of my best rods used to be on Fenwick blanks, and many are still in use today. To keep things front and center, I still have a Fenwick cowboy style belt buckle that they once sold as part of a promotion of some kind, as well as a "wall-hanger" embroidered sign that still hangs in my workshop. And no, I'm not going to get rid of any of them!

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2010 08:08AM

Fenwick, for the record, is currently owned by the Jarden Corp., which owns many, many brands: Abu Garcia, Penn Reels, Shakespeare, Berkley, and All Star are all Jarden brands. I'd be curious to see the difference between a factory rod with a "Penn" label on it and one with a "Fenwick" label on it. I wonder if they're both made in the same factory in Asia.

Jarden is a public company (JAH) with a market capitalization right now of around $3 billion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster