I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help.
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 11, 2010 09:50PM

I have been working on finishing a rod. I used a black rubber winding check on the rod. I got a little sloppy while running the finish, and had some small bubbles in the finish around the winding check. I figured that I would just use a razor blade, and cut them out, and then run another coat of epoxy. I cut a little to deep, and cut a chunk out of the winding check. The way I see this is; I start over from the grip up, or I sand the finish over the winding check down until I can smooth out the missing chunk. This rod has been "snake bit" since I started it. I am open to any suggestions on how to proceed with this rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help.
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 11, 2010 11:37PM

Mike can you get another winding check to stretch enough to go over the guides ? Should go over all but the butt guide. If you can get one over the guides, use that handy razor blade and finish cutting the snake bit one off and replace it with the new one. Mix a little dab of Rod Bond to hold it in place.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2010 11:54PM

" I am open to any suggestions on how to proceed with this rod."

Cut it off and leave it off. Do you really need it? If so, make a very small epoxy ramp and cover it with black (or any color you like for that matter) thread. This is what I do now instead of winding checks almost every time. I get any color I want and don't have to keep a buttload of winding checks in stock.

Steve

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 12:19AM

If the winding check is in front of the seat, with no fore grip, Steve has the right idea.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2010 01:07AM

It works great if there is a foregrip as well. As I understand, The original point of a winding check was to cover up sloppy cork reaming and provide a smooth transition from the blank to the grip. You can accomplish that with several different methods. The only benefit I have ever seen of a rubber/vinyl check is to accomodate for a small amount of shrinkage of the cork... and it's easy.

Steve

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 07:57AM

one other option is mix some rod bond or other epoxy and tint it black to match the winding check. then "patch" your winding check. you can also cut off the winding check and do the same thing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2010 08:42AM

Mike,
Another option is to make a winding check from Thread - so to speak.
i.e. make a nice wrap against the front of the fore grip in the design of your chooosing.
If the edge of the fore grip is a bit rough, you can put several layers of wrapping on that part of the rod as well to simulater the winding check.

Roger

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 12, 2010 09:20AM

Hi Mike

You can cut off the bad one, get another one and split it wrap it around the rod and glue the ends back together but glue it where you wont see it, then put a light coat of epoxy over it.

Good Luck

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: April 12, 2010 10:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster