I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brand New to Rod Making
Posted by: Justin Goodwin (159.53.78.---)
Date: April 09, 2010 03:45PM

Hi everyone! I'm Justin Goodwin and I live in Tallahassee, FL. I'm from Pensacola, FL and grew up fishing but now in my mid 20's I've gotten into doing a lot of hobby/hands on things (and I still fish). I just ordered Tom Kirkman's rod building guide off of Amazon because I want to start making rods for myself, and maybe if I have a nack for it, for sale later on.

Where on earth do I start?....obviously I've ordered the "how to" book but it hasn't come in yet. What kind of equipment do I need, what are good/professional level graphite blanks to buy, and what advice would you give to a newbie? Thanks!

Justin Goodwin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brand New to Rod Making
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: April 09, 2010 03:52PM

Mudhole.com has a new begginers catalog.

It might be best to describe the type of rod you want to build.

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (159.53.78.---)
Date: April 09, 2010 03:56PM

Ahh of course...sorry. I fish primarily in salt water for inshore (speckled trout, redfish, spanish mackerel, etc) and offshore spinning (cobia, amberjack, snapper, grouper, etc.)

Date: April 09, 2010 04:05PM

I could tell you what I want......a nice 8wt flyrod.....

Do you know what you want in a rod? 6' 7' 8', anything in between, casting or spinning, or fly(I'm dobting that is the case though).

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 04:39PM

There are a few rod builders listed in FL that might give you a leg up. Check them out.
[www.tackleworks.org]

Equipment needed kind of depends on how deep you get into the craft but you can build & wrap rods with very little equipment requirements.

Something to support the rod, as simple as a cardboard box with "v" notches cut out and a bobben to hold & tension the thread.

There is a tutorial for making a good wooden hand wrapper in the LIBRARY section here (see button above).

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 04:46PM

For inshore purposes I love fishing with a 6'6'', for offshore I love anything between 6'-7', but then again...I don't know much.

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 04:48PM

And I only fish spinning and baitcasting. No fly fishing yet, but who knows.

Date: April 09, 2010 05:01PM

You're in florida too, Isn't mudhole HQ'd there?

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 05:06PM

We are about 4 to 4-1/2 hours south of Tallahassee, in Oviedo, FL., which is just east of Orlando. Come down and check out our facility. It is the "Candy Store For Rod Builders".

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 06:24PM

Mudhole would be a great place to visit. Meeting Bob is an education in itself, along with Todd and Scott!! You started right by getting Tom's book. Actually, you need very little in the way of equipment to get started. Don't be in to much of a hurry to but expensive equipment until you find out what's available and what will serve your purpose. I've been building for 20+ years and use mostly home made equipment. Register on the Photo page and look through the Equipment. Read the Glossary, FAQ's and Library pages at the top of this page. There is also a LARGE collection of tutorials available at [rodbuildingtutorials.com] Don't hesitate to ask questions here and use the SEARCH function (select ALL DATES as there are many years of posts that are archived.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 08:46PM

Justin,
The Mudhole catalog has a list of tools and supplies tbat will get you started.
Also if you have a chance check out the classes that Mud Hole conducts at their facility.
I just attended the class they held in Sacramento and it was excellent.
Consider starting out with one of their kits as all the components are included.

Bill Davidor

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 09:04PM

I suggest you start by reading the subjects in this sites, Library, Glossary & FAQ's. Also peruse the photos of equipment.

Doing this along with Tom's book should start you along the right path, especially if you meet with someone like Mudhole or others that can offer advice and direction.

Posted by: Ed Long (---.ellijay.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 11:15PM

On the buy/sell page is a post by william white with some rainshadow and st.croix blanks for sale. I bought three of them for my first builds and feel like I got a very good deal on them. Tom's book will be very helpful in answering your questions about tools ,materials and components.

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 09, 2010 11:31PM

Thank you all so much for all of your advice! I'm so excited to get started and your input was EXTREMELY helpful! Thank you!

Justin Goodwin

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2010 11:50AM

Justin,
About the very best thing that you could do would be to go to a good rod building class, or work under the direction of a good rod builder for the time of building your first rod.
Sure, a person can read, watch videos and learn, but the lessons come so much quicker when you are the watchful eyes of a good builder and teacher.
Then, when you get into an ackward situation, the teacher will have the quick little trick that gets you through that situation.

Also, when you have a question, you only have to ask and the answer will be provided.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2010 03:53PM

Go to Mudhole.Com. Top of the page Rod building 101 lots of info there. try youtube "rodbuilding" more info, also look here on the left RM Library Program

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster