I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alaskan Surf Rod
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 01:37PM

Ok I did a search and I didn't find the info I needed. I am building some Surf rods to fish from the shores for Whatever will bite. The rods I have are Batson 13.5 feet, I forget the models.
My first question is what is a better setup for a Surf Rod? Baitcaster, or spinning reel. I am looking for max distance on the cast.
Next I need some kind of an Idea for Guide sizes and spacing.
Medication side effects force the sale of my boat. I am going to try to get some Halibut from the shore so I want Max Distance on the casts.

Any imputs will be greatly appreciated

Kirk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alaskan Surf Rod
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 03:58PM

kirk; somewhere up there is a group who surf fish for Halibut and do well . Due to the size of what you are fishing for a convenional might be best. Hvy casting style guides would be the best bet Fuji alconite or amtak ring locks 25-20-16-12-12-12-12 with a Sic hvy tip at least 16mm. the reason I said 12's is you most likely will be using heavy main line with a heavy shock leader. I personally would build it with 16's and use 80# braid.

Surfishing buddy of mine is Stationed there and I gave him a Allstar 1508 for a going away gift for the bigger boys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 04:01PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.dsl.telepac.pt)
Date: April 07, 2010 06:30PM

Hi Kirk!
Here in Portugal we use 4,5m rods in 3 parts. Two guides on the second part and four guides plus tip top on the tip.
If you want max distance cast you should consider the Low Rider guides from Fuji in alconite: 20 - 16 - 12- 10 - 8 - 8.
You only will have problems if you fish with really heavy lines. Braid lines are a very god option.
Of course, i don't know the fishing environment that you will have in there. This is just what i use in here
Hope that can help you same how.

Nuno

[www.7evenrods.com]

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 11:18PM

KIRK....

Hello fellow Alaskan! I built a 14 foot rainshadow with a 15-30 line rating a while ago for a guy and he loves it. I love it to and I can cast a 1 oz weight a city block! I built it in spinning rod fashion as he and I booth loath casting reels. (I can hear it now you casting reel die-hards!)

Fact is, Kings and butts can be caught by shore here, but it takes some timing to get it right on the location. I would build two rods for AK surf casting. One for butts and the other for kings and coho's. the above rod I built would be for the salmon, and the butt rod would be a foot shorter with a heavier line rating...say 50#. But, having said that, I would first get a feel on the blank and ask around like you are doing. One surf rod may have a 35# rating but have no back bone what so ever...this would be disadvantageous on halibut! I have hooked halibut in shallow water, and they will SMOKE ya!

Also, ask around here for lure rating as well for the blank. I'm not that knowledga as the legends on here on surf rods so keep poking around...

Paul

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: April 07, 2010 11:47PM

Thank you to everyone for their inputs. I have heard of folks using surf rods off the bank here, now I just have to find them. I have been plotting some runs for this season. I plan on hitting it early so I guess I better get busy. If nothing else it is an excuse to run the ATVS for a bit park them, toss the lines, and pop a beer. I want to hit Valdez at the end of the Pink Run, something tells me there could be some Butts cleaning up on Pink Carcass's.............I could get into this Surf fishing thing..........lol

The blanks I have are Rainshadow SU1507f they are rated @ 15-30 and a 2-5 oz lure. I have some cool jigs from rockfishing that should fall into that category. I also plan on using bait when I can. I am not sure how easy it will be to keep the bait on while casting but time will tell

Once again thanks to everyone........Hopefully I will have some Bragging pics before the summer is over

Kirk

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 09:51PM

Kirk - as to whether you go with spinning or conventional, it may depend of how much weight you intend to cast, whether you are casting lures, and whether you intend to use braid or mono. Most surf casters casting heavier weights (five ounces of lead and above) use mono with conventional tackle. It is also possible to caster heavier weights with spinning but it is hard for the finger to take the weight so usually a casting aid such as "breakaway cannon" is used. I have not cast the RS 1507 but I have casted the 1509 and it is a great blank. If you are really interested in getting the maximum distance with your casting you may want to check out some of the british casting sites regarding the "pendulum cast". Just be aware it came very dangerous doing such a cast around folks. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster