I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap trouble with gaps between threads?
Posted by: Ron Callahan (---.snloca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 04:20PM

Hi, I was wondering how you guys keep the threads from creating gaps in your cross wraps...

Every time I lay a new thread down next to the previous thread, there seems to be a new gap. How do you keep everything tight as you are wrapping, or do you just pack everything when your finished?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap trouble with gaps between threads?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2010 06:16PM

You do the best you can as you wrap. Then, after several passes, you go in and repack things, some of which will hold due to the "lock" in at the centers of overlapping threads. Even then, you'll have to repack once the wrap is completed to get things nice and neat.

Elongated wraps are more difficult in this regard than more compressed spacing wraps are.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 06:18PM

When I make my first X I just take small amount of CP and place it on the center of the X. This will stop the centers from creeping. I also use a packer as I wrap. Also if you learn to run 3 threads at a time you will eliminate a lot of your problem

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 07:36PM

It's also best to watch your tension. Too tight and the threads won't move well when you try to pack things. Light tension is fine.

The CP on the centers is also a great tip. the centers will creep as you add threads and pack them around so make sure they are lined up and just hit them with a spot of CP and it will improve your result.

Let us know how it goes.

Terry

Date: April 04, 2010 07:59PM

Terry great tip on tension

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 06:48AM

Also, if I am in the n=midde=le of a wrap and have to leave for some reason, I make sure everything isd packed. Then I brush a little CP upon the whole wrap. When I return everything is as I left.
Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: April 05, 2010 07:52AM

I also do that except I thin mine down with a little Denatured Alcohol. I do not use C?P full strength. That is if I use Flex Coat

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster