I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip suddenly off line
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 01:41PM

I was putting finish on a rod for a friend today (2nd coat) and when I got to the tip there is now suddenly about a 1/4' deflection to the right(when the opther guides are vertical) at the tip starting at about halfway between it and the first guide. Last night it was not there and now today it is. What ahppened and what can I do about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip suddenly off line
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 02:54PM

Heat it up, align it and let it cool.
This happens from time to time. Most of the time it is because there has been an inadequate amount of glue in the tip and the tip got bumped and twisted in handling.
I would suggest that you remove the tip, insure that you have adequate glue in the tip, reapply the tip, align it, and clean up the excess glue.

p.s.
I may have misunderstood your post. Did the tip change its orientation with respect to the guides, or is there a side hook to the blank - while keeping the tip in angular alignment with the rest of the guides.
If there is a hook on the end of the blank, there is really nothing you can do with the rod at this point.
Either scrap the rod, , or finish the rod and enjoy it.

Take care
REW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 02:56PM by roger wilson.

Re: tip suddenly off line
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 03:14PM

There is a hook, it reminds me of when a tip gets a set in it except is in the last 3". Guess i will let it finish curing, go cast it and see how it feels. I know that to my friend it won't matter if it has that little bend (I think I exagerated at 1/4" it is more like 3/32" at the most but you can definetely see it) as long as it fishes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster