I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning cork grips on a power wrapper
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 07:16AM

I'm trying to decide weather to buy a power wrapper of a wood lathe to turn cork grips. Those of you who have used a power wrapper have you had any problems turning the grips with a wrapper? I'm leaning towards the power wrapper because it lighter in weight and can also be used as a wrapper. Thanks in . Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning cork grips on a power wrapper
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 07:33AM

For myself, I do not turn my cork in the same area as I wrap in. I have a power wrapper partially because it is easier on my wrists overall when wrapping. I use a wood lathe in the garage for all my turning. I really do not want to deal with the cork dust in my wrapping area. If you decide to use the power wrapper for turning, just make sure you use a good method to collect the dust. Cork dust gets in the air so easily and gets everywhere if you do not do something to control it. In the garage, I can get most of the dust with a box fan with a furnace filter taped onto it. It may not get every bit of dust, but it takes care of the majority of it.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 08:03AM

I get good results with the Flex Coat cork lathe. You cannot gererate the needed RPM's with a wrapper.
Herb

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 02, 2010 02:37PM

Well I do. My CPW will easily turn grips. I sand, cut and shape grips on it. Cork, foam EVA and Hypalon....no problem. BUT...I also have an old Delta lathe that I'll use if the grip isn't on the blank. I love having more toys, but if it was only having one, I would never give up my Powerwrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 03:10PM

Bill,
Buy a power wrapper to do wrapping.
Buy a lathe or lathe equivalent to do handle turning.

Yes, some power wrappers will do an OK job of turning cork, but none will really do the job as well as virtually any of the smaller wood lathes.

I also agree with the other posts who suggest that you keep the wrapping areas and the wood turning areas in at least separate rooms and preferably separate buildings.

Any time that you turn an object - wood, cork or other products dust is generated. Dust floats and goes everywhere, Yes, you can do filters, yes you can do other types of dust abatement.

But, guess what - if you don't have any dust generating items in your wrapping room, you don't have to deal with it.

It is your choice.

You can purchase a small wood lathe at any of the big box stores for about $100 that will do a wonderful job of turning handles.
Sure you can spend more $$$$$$$$ if you like for a wood lathe. If you plan to do much turning of anything more than just handles, you really want to investigate your options and buy the one that will best suit your current needs for handle as well as any future needs, if you have any.

Good luck

Roger

Date: April 02, 2010 03:33PM

Bill,
Here are a myriad of examples of different lathes. Virtually all of which would do a fine job to turn cork grips:

[images.google.com]

Also, be sure to check with the sponsors listed on the left. Many of them carry lathes which work very very well to turn grips.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 08:58PM

Pretty good list there Roger; one of the links had a pretty sweet 1/3 horse Shop Fox with variable speed for under 200, that would be great fo cork and eva for sure.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 10:59PM

The Custom Power Wrapper or the Renzetti would be the only wrapping class tools I would consider using for regular turning. If you have the space, you can get a reasonable wood lathe and a power wrapper on sale and pay about the same amount. It really makes the shop more flexible as you can turn inserts and other wood on the lathe that probably would be a stretch for the wrapper tools.

As Mike said, it helps to keep the dust out of the wrapping area. You can employ dust filters to remove it if you are confined to one area.

Terry

Date: April 03, 2010 12:22AM

Walt,
I have used the shop fox Lathe of which you speak.
You are right - it works very well at a very reasonable price.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2010 06:40AM

If you're only turning cork, a rod power wrapper will be more than adequate.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 03, 2010 12:44PM

Like most at the present time I use one of my 3 power wrappers when I turn cork, That well change by next fall (getting a meni lath) Any way your or most power wrappers will work cork. Just do not put a lot of strain on the motor. Take care to eliminating dust to collect on the motor. Jerry rigged a box with a vacuum hose attachment, so it will collect dust and dirt from the cork while sanding. Cork dust collects on everything. Just leave a spool of thread out, say 20 to 30 feet away. Power sand your cork. Now go look at your thread, you will see some dust. Let the spool stay for 2 more days NOW look at the dirt

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster