I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide sizing for fly blank spinning rods
Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 10:33PM

im in the process of gathering components for a few rods that i will be building shortly. all three on them will be built on 9' tiger eye fly blanks. they will be strictly used as spinning rods. two of the blanks are 7wt and one will be a 9wt. they will be used mainly for drifting egg sacks for lake superior steelhead. what are the smallest guide sizes that i can use for these rods? i want to go as small as possible. also, how many of each and how about placement?
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide sizing for fly blank spinning rods
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 07:31AM

You can go as small as you like as long as the line and whatever knots you use pass through the guides. Check this out from the library, it will help alot.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Tilbury (65.214.119.---)
Date: March 31, 2010 07:57AM

I would imagine if your fishing Lake Superior Steelhead you will be fishing in the cold temperatures. Which leads to a lot of guide freezing, I use a drift rod with size 6 guides and have some troubles at times.

Posted by: Ben Claxton (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 10:08AM

I'm building a 7'6" 4/5 wt tiger eye as a spinning rod for my dad. He's going to be using it for crappies and bluegills casting light tube jigs and roadrunners. I think I'm going to use a high frame 20, 16, 12, and then 3.0's to the tip (mainly because that is what I've got on hand). I've yet to mess with the guide placement, but I glued up the grip and reel seat last night. As soon as my BMCAT tips arrive I'll get it all put together.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 02, 2010 10:49AM

OkAy, my blanks arrived yesterday...great looking blanks btw...now, for the components, I have ordered a couple of batsons skeleton spinning reel seats w/ the graphite insert, I just need guides now...I am planning on using the concept method of guide placement...what is the general starting guide size for a 9' spinning rod? Reel size will be a 2500 series...also about how many of each size guide do I need? I already know I need 10 total plus the tip top...any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2010 09:53PM

Go to the link in a previous message (Mike S) regarding spinning rod guides and spacing, and follow the instructions. You will probably start with a 25 tall guide based on the 2500 reel, but the diameter of the spool will determine the diameter of the first guide. The first of the smallest guides will be placed about 27 times the spool diameter from the spool, and the guides in between will be determined by the straight line path between the guide closest to reel and the first of the small guides, and I expect some of the guides will not be the tall design. But their size, height, and spacing have to be worked out for your specific blank.

You need to understand the library article from the link and use it. No one can tell you how to design the rod by exchanging notes. If you can get the ring diameter and guide heights from the manufacturer of the guides you plan to use, you can come pretty close by laying out the rod on adding machine paper mounted on a work bench with accurate sketches of the reel located on a seat and the first small guide located 27x from the reel. But ultimately, you will have to proof your design by actually stressing the rod with line through the guides, then test casting it.

The comment on icing of guides is valuable also-if you will be fishing under icing conditions you do not want to go too small. If icing is an issue, I am confident you don't want to use 3's. Mike T thinks 6's are as small as you should go.

When you get these rods done and want an interesting project, try a 3 weight 7 1/2 foot moderate action fly blank as an ultra light spinning rod designed around a 500 size reel, and you will be amazed at what you get.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster