I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mederia wrapped guides
Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 03:31PM

I know there has been some discussion with wrapping guides with Mederia Thread so heres my questions. Whats the downside of this? Especially with CP.
Who uses it for guides and are you having any problems?
What are the pros and cons? Exactly why don't we want to use this thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mederia wrapped guides
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 03:55PM

Only reason I know is that you do have to use CP with it. I have not used CP, but I had to sit with the rod a long time and constantly adjusting the finish till it cured enough.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 03:57PM

Jeff,
You may want to specify the purpose of the rod. I use madiera on most of my fly rods without trouble. I am not sure if I would use it on saltwater rods though. I am sure others will have more experience with it than myself. I have only been using it for about a year.

Kirk

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 05:10PM

There is no down side. You can use it on guide wraps. Most will use CP.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 05:44PM

Why not just use a thread that has less problems

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.client.eng.telusmobility.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 06:06PM

I use madeira almost exclusively on my wraps because of the variety of colors available. I also use CP all the time, and other than the extra step and drying time for the CP, I have had absolutely no issues using it. I only build fly rods though for fresh water, so there may be some issues I am not aware of for saltwater use.

Harold

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 07:01PM

I use Madeira on 98% of my guides. I rarely build salt but do Muskie and Cat rods with no problem

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:40PM

I build all Saltwater rods. Mostly inshore and use Maderia on the guide wraps. Have one that has 3 hard seasons on it and it still looks and performs as the day I built it. No loose guides or anything of that nature. The colors are many but the appearance of the thread is also different. Also never had an issue with fuzzies right off the spool. It is a little different to work with and has a learning curve because it seems to stretch a little easier than the rod building specific threads.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 01:03AM

I also build mostly inshore rods and use Madeira most of the time. Usually with CP and lately I've been trying it without. No problems with CP and it's fine after the second coat of finish without CP.

Steve

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 25, 2010 08:02AM

Thanks for the input guys. I have built 3 freshwater bass rods with it and have had no problem. I built two salt water rods for stripers and fluke. I have only fished the striper(boat rods) last year and had no problems. I should have been more specific. I was concerned about the guide wraps with cp on them causing cracking around the feet of the guides.
A cosmetic concern.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster