I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Second Strippinig Guide
Posted by: Will Graham (208.93.35.---)
Date: March 08, 2010 06:20AM

I'm building a 9'-5 wt fly rod, and I'm trying to decide whether to put a second stripping guide on it. What do you guys usually do for a rod of similar size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Second Strippinig Guide
Posted by: Anonymous User (62.189.57.---)
Date: March 08, 2010 07:22AM

Just finished a Pac Bay which came with two stripping guides and fitted them both.
Hope this helps,
Phil.

Posted by: Will Graham (208.93.35.---)
Date: March 08, 2010 07:27AM

Do you find that it increases your casting distance?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 07:52AM

Will,
There is only one stripping guide on a rod. Typically you install one ceramic stripping guide and one more double foot ceramic guide with a smaller ring.
On a 5wt you might want the stripper to be #10. A #12 wouild be pushing it but you could use it. On a 5wt - the next guide could be a ceramic #8 or a large wire snake or wire singlefoot guide. Or you could use a #12 ceramic stripper and a #10 ceramic double foot guide. If you are building a 5wt rod for light saltwater use I would go with the two double foot guides - frest water - one double foot ceramic #10 and a ceramic #8.
The set-up that you use will not affect the casting.
Herb

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:07AM

Many fly rod builders now put a 'one or two size' ( smaller than the stripper) "Tamer" guide between the the stripper and the normal spaced second guide. They usually put this tamer approx. 4-41/2" from the stripper. Purpose is to help quickly 'tame' the large, fast moving big loop of fly line that first hits the stripper. I have tried it both ways and I very much like the casting results I get using a tamer.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:08AM

Will,
I often add a second double footed guide (technically, only the butt guide is referred to as the "stripping guide", regardless of construction), as a "tamer". It is an extra guide, added about 4 inches up from the stripper. I find that it often adds distance, as it tends to keep the line from bunching up when I shoot it. Here's some info on tamers:[rodbuilding.org]

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:19AM

Try test casting the rod with and without the tamer and see if you like it.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster