I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage Z-Axis compares to what?
Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 03:45PM

I really like the weight and feel of a 5 wt, 9 ft., 4 pc, Sage Z-Axis. Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative blank that has the same weight and feel as any Z-axis? Please state the weight, length, & number of pieces of the Sage rod that you are comparing against.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage Z-Axis compares to what?
Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 06:46PM

John,

Take a look at the Dan Craft Five Rivers Series of blanks, particularly the FTXL9054. It has a listed AA of 68-70 with an ERN of 6.20. Your Sage Z-Axis should have very similar characteristics to this Dan Craft Blank since it is listed of the CCS data site as having an AA of 67 and ERN of 5.65. Also the FTXL9044 (a rod rated for a 4 wt. line ) which I personally built recently had an AA of 67 and an ERN of 5.30, which has just slightly less power than your Z-Axis model. These Dan Craft blanks are constucted of similar high modulus graphite materials and SHOULD have similar rod frequencies (recovery) as your Z-Axis.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 09:30PM

Is there another ccs data site? I cant find any Z-axis rods on the list.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 11:00PM

try looking under the "blanks" tab. I think your looking at the "rods" tab.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: March 07, 2010 11:25AM

Note: The data for the first specific Dan Craft blank that I mentioned is listed on the Dan Craft website only. The data for the second Dan Craft blank that I mentioned is from my personal test - which I didn't bother to list because it is essentially identical to the data listed for that specific blank on Dan Craft's website.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 01:27PM

Thanks much for the input. I really appreciate it.

Date: March 07, 2010 03:03PM

Deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 03:03PM by Torin Koski.

Posted by: Jim Bernard (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:38AM

I tried out my new 9' 5wt Z-axis this weekend and I have to say it's worth the money (that's not to say that I could afford a factory-built of course), but WOW, If you like 'fast', it's a rocket launcher! I would be interested to hear if anyone has a real-word, on-stream comparison with the Z-axis and anything equivalent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster