I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip top wrapping
Posted by: Robert Bumgarner (---.dhcp.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:33PM

I am looking for suggestions for wrapping the tip top on a fly rod. It seems I always mess this wrap up. Any suggestions for supporting the tip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip top wrapping
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:56PM

Hi, Robert,
I have a pdf drawing which I can email to you.
I don't know how to attach a drawing to this post.

I just posted the drawing(jpg) to Photos under Equipment & Tools

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 10:06PM by John Repaci.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 12:17AM

[www.backlashtools.com] this is what I use on my clemens lathe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:04AM

Robert,
Here is a very simple support that works very well for supporting thin blank and tip sections.
It is nothing more than a solid piece of fiberglass blank section, that has had a notch cut in the end with a dremel tool.
Then, a hold is drilled into a base plate and the rod is inserted into the base. Make the height of the notch match the expected height of the tip being wrapped and you will be good to go.

Since the tip will simply rest in the slot, you need to be sure to have your thread coming from below the height of the slot to help keep the tip or blank in the slot:

Take care
Roger

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:09AM

Support the tip as close as you can and use little tension. It is only for looks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 03:34AM

Bill,
I have found that when wrapping some of these paper thin fly rod and ice rod tips, that I actually increase the tension.
When working with such tiny blanks, I have found that (sometimes) it works better to increase the tension to get a better grip of the thread on the tiny blanks and tips.
I will often, just use my fingers to hold the tip or blank from bending back and essentially doing the entire wrap in my fingers.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Beall (---.always-online.wispnet.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 07:10AM

I agree with Barry. I use this tool on my wooden wrapping jig and it makes a troublesome wrap easy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 10:13AM

Roger
That is what I do. With lighter tension and keep it from bending with my fingers.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 05:03PM

I took a piece of brass tubing that has a slightly larger I.D. then the berrel of the tip top. I marked the tubing, and cut the top half of the tubing off with a dremel tool. This created a half circle of the tubing that the barrel of the tip top could lay in. The length of the cut was just long enough that the tip top would fit, and a small section of the Barrel would extend past the end of the brass tubing. I make a wrap of masking tape around the barrel of the tip top, place this in the brass tubing, and continue the wrap around the tip top and the brass tubing. The brass tubing works like an extension of the rod blank when it is supported in the rod supports, and makes wrapping the tip top much easier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster