I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait Rod CB70M
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2010 10:19AM

I just bought a Baston CB70M blank for crankbaiting (combination of cranks and lipless baits). I really dont want a very stiff rod, defintely was hoping to get a blank with a lot of play but not too light that I wont be able to handle bigger smallies. Main idea was that I wanted a blank that would be soft enough not to rip trebles out of the mouth and take away from the baits action. Can you give me your opinions on this blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait Rod CB70M
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 10:34AM

I have a CB66M (spinning) that I use for light cranks and a CB70MH (casting) and I like it for shallow to medium cranks. You may find the 70M too light for traps and larger cranks, but it has the properties you desire.

Date: February 27, 2010 10:40AM

Wont be using anything heavier than 1/2 ounce traps... Would this rod still be too light for this application. Wasnt sure if the 70MH would be too stiff for what I was looking for.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2010 10:44AM

I have built 4 rods off of this blank for different fishermen. They have yet to go through a full year of fishing but from what I can see, I would agree with Chuck. I think a 1/4 oz trap (maybe a 1/2 oz) is about has heavy as I would go. I would not throw any heavy crankbaits, such as a DD22. The CB70MH is the next rod up in stiffness. If you are thinking of 2 rods each one of these would compliment each other and cover a wide range of crank and lippless baits.

Date: February 27, 2010 10:55AM

I agree totally, I think I will also build a heavier CB70MH for deep diver cranks and heavier lipless baits. I usually dont fish heavier than a 1/2 ounce, do you think the CB70M will be able to handle a Red Eye Shad in 1/2ounce? Again anything heavier than this bait will require a next step up in blanks to the CB70MH. I just dont want to reel in a 1/2 ounce trap and find my blank bent over in half without a fish on.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2010 11:45AM

I think the 70m is too light for a lot of cranks. It (to me) is more of a 1/4 - 1/2oz spinner bait blank. I've built on the MH as well and it feels too light to me also. I'm a glass cranker though... i would look into the lamiglass or seeker (bc706s) glass blanks if you desire a truly soft rod. I use the 706 for RC 1.5s, strike king series 3 thru 6 and med diver fat-free shads. I think its ideal for a 1/2oz red eye as well. I like fishing my cranks and traps in weeds, so i run braid and rip all of the aforementioned baits through them. The 706 has an awesome combination of strength/backbone, soft tip and moderate action - combine that with the slow recovery of pure glass and you are in business. No matter how they make graphite blank bend, fiber is fiber and you just can't reproduce that slow recovery of glass which is EXTREMELY important to me as many times i get hit as i'm jerking the bait out of the weeds.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: February 27, 2010 01:28PM

I agree. I mostly use the 70MH for DT4 - DT10. I also throw little Mann's baits with it.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2010 02:20PM

Jay,

I use the CB66M for fishing shallow to medium running cranks called ~1/4oz. by their manufactures. Things like Big-Os, Strike King Series 1&3, and other similar body sized cranks. It is a great blank for fishing this sized crank around rip rap and isolated cover. If you plan to fish heavier cranks, or around heavier cover you need a bit more power in the blank. It's a great blank, but you really need another blank to complement it to cover your bases for cranking.

Joe

Date: February 27, 2010 02:21PM

Where can I purchase a Seeker BC706s, have not been able to locate this blank??? I see the new KVD rods are blended EGlass and Graohite, and have serious flex. DO you know of a blank from Lamiglass that would be comparable, or is the Seeker blank the blank to get.

Date: February 27, 2010 03:05PM

Look here: [rodbuilding.org]

Mus Hole carries it too.

Date: February 27, 2010 03:06PM

Anyone use the Baston RDR70M as a crankbaiting rod, I have seen in previous posts that this blank has high ratings for this application even though it wasnt designed for this. Seems like from past postings that this blank has all the charicteristics I am looking for including the soft action.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2010 10:27PM

Jay, ask yourself what kind of lake or river are you fishing. The cover or lack of will or should have a bearing on the rod you select as well as the line size. The truth will come when you build the rod and spend a season or too with it. I know fishermen (as well as myself) that use popping blanks for specific crankbaits. Hook size and type come into play. What kind or how smooth of reel will you use? There are too many conditions to have one rod that serves all needs. The good thing about the Batson CB lines of blanks are they are economical so you can put several together without a great deal of $$$ invested. It's similar to a bag of golf clubs, different clubs for different shots. You can even use these blanks for drop shots>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted by: Rick Ballard (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 05:30PM

from personal experience, cb70h is the right blank for traps. The 70mh is pretty stout but the heavy really works, especialy if you have to rip through grass

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster