I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Black and white Marbling
Posted by: Tom Carter (---.isp.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 06:18PM

I am going to be trying my hand at marbling, and was wondering If any of you guys have done black and white, Or black and silver. I think i would rather do the black and silver, as I am doing black hypalon with silver inlays, and silver guides . I am going to try to do the area between the split grip. I tried a pic search first but wasnt able to see any.

Any tips for a first time marbler that I should know other than the library lesson? Thanks guys. Without this site I would be Lost.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black and white Marbling
Date: February 26, 2010 06:35PM

Another quick question on this, If I was to do a black base coat, and a silver marble, should i let the black dry first, then use clear, And marble the silver into the clear so it doesnt turn gray?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 06:44PM

Tom,

Black and silver looks very nice. I prefer to lay down the black base, give it a minute to level, and then go right in with my silver. It won't mix and turn gray. I use the testor's paints, what are you planning on using for pigments? As long as you follow the tutorial, you shouldn't have any problems. Here's a couple of pictures for you to check out. The silver one looks more "mixed" because I applied a bit of heat to it after applying the silver. I did not apply any heat to the orange one.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Don't forget to practice one first! You can use a brush handle, your wife's broom handle, etc.

jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 06:46PM by Jeremy Wagner.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 06:57PM

Tom here is one I did.What I did for the black base was wrap with black ncp thread and use only white for the marble. Makes it a little easier and the colors dont run together. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 26, 2010 07:17PM

Those look great guys! Yeah, i am going to do a few practice runs on some dowell rods first. To apply the heat did you just use a hair dryer, or use an alchohol burner? Also last question i swear, I am going to be doing a threadless wrap on this rod as well, have any of you guys used perma gloss to marble with?

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 07:40PM

I like it, being an old custom painter , the flames look good, i am impressed.

Date: February 26, 2010 07:52PM

Thats what I was thinking, going to have to get another blank and do a fire theme. That looks great! Yes I am going to be using testors. I colored epoxy once on a minima seat that I poured into the front to fill it rather than a winding check, and the testors worked great.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 09:54PM

Permagloss sets up to fast to marble with. Its a shame because working over those fumes would spark the imagination. When marbling be very careful with heat, it will cause everything to meld together and loose the pattern. Also DO NOT use a flame on Permagloss or you will blow up the shop.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 08:43AM

Fred,

That was some very wise advice! When marbling, a little bit of heat goes a LONG way!

jeremy

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 10:52AM

Yep, here is one of mine from several years ago: [www.rodbuilding.org]

The white is a Pearl-X product.

DR

Date: February 27, 2010 08:30PM

Ok Last question on this (ok I am a liar) If I did a white spray paint first, then a black base coat, then the silver would it pop more, or should I just use the white on lighter colors?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 09:00AM

Tom,

I think that white would work well as a base under other marbling, but I'm not sure how it will do with black over it. I doubt the silver would pop more because it's being put on black. You can always try it. If you do, report back and let us know your results.

jeremy

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 02:43PM

Darker base colors usually work better for me. Let us know how your white base does.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster