I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alaska Salmon rod.
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 03:30PM

I have a client looking for a rod to take to Alaska to fish reds and silvers in the rivers from shore. I have no idea on what to suggest. My first thouhgt was something to use for pike. A 7' MH in a fast action.
Looking for suggestions or advice. Also, he wants it to be a spinning rod.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alaska Salmon rod.
Posted by: Mike Tilbury (65.214.119.---)
Date: February 25, 2010 05:04PM

What type of fishing is he going to be doing? Floating spawn, drifting, throwing spoons or crank baits?

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.nat-124.northstar.k12.ak.us)
Date: February 25, 2010 08:53PM

Then too, it would be helpful to know the rivers being fished.... there being a vast difference amongst them!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 03:24AM

Since I live here in AK, I would have your client pack a 8 1/2 or 9 foot rod, 10-17# line rating, and fast action. Usually reds (Sockeyes) and silvers (Coho's) don't run at the same time FYI. but thats ok, cause this rod will be great for both species. Whatever he's fishing with (Spoons, spinners, eggs.) is irrelevent here in AK this rod will be very adequate.

Here's my take after 30+ years of Salmon fishing: Salmon aren't like bass where you have to use a different rod for every cotton-picking type of lure your cast.... Sure there are hot shot rods and such, but my mentioned rod will do everything in one package-just make sure you sell him two- ALASKA is BRUTAL ON EQUIPMENT. Many times I have seen customers walk back into the shop with a fist ful of broken sticks! And make sure HE DOES NOT OVER LINE THEM!!!!!!!!

God Speed...
Paul

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 26, 2010 08:25AM

Mudhole have a closeout on a 8 1/2 ft lamiglas salmon/steelhead 3 piece travel rod..
Model GSA1023H.
I use 17# nylon or 30# braid on them.
I love mine and i think it would work well for what your client needs.

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 08:33AM

Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. I'll mosre than likely do this on the mentioned lamiglass blank.
Josh

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 09:44AM

Lou made a great choice, a 2 piece version has been used in Alaska for many, many years the Lamiglas Kenai Special.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 11:24AM

30# braid with no 17#mono leader of such? I will promise you that rod will break within a week if not sooner. I cannot imagine how many broken Kenai Specials I have seen in my life. IMHO, use mono. "Use braid and it will grenade" was our moto....

But yes, Lou hit a GRANDSLAM with this rod blank! It is near perfect for everything here in AK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 08:24PM by Paul Rotkis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster