I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diamond II revisited - changed to thumbs up
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 11:21PM

Hi all,
I have been away for a week - while I could read posts I could not post my own - left my passwords home.

I ripped out, and re wrapped the wraps that were not satisfactory.

The second set of wrap were covered with a thin coat of D II and re-coated in 5 hrs to produce a level high gloss finish - very nice with good leveling and no bubbles.
USEFUL pot life (for me) was not as long as TM Lite but the trade-off was that I could re-coat in 4-5 hrs (at full tack). Whereas the TM Lite would have to be overnight. The ability to re-coat in the same day is a real convenience for me because I do not have a dedicated room for the hobby. I have to break down and set up each time.

Regarding freezing - the second coat was applied out of the freezer (5hrs) and worked fine. However, I did notice that an overnight freeze did not work with D II but would with TM Lite.

Bottom line - after I got familiar with the product I will continue to use it. Its failings - shorter pot life than I am used to has been turned to an advantage by being able to recoat same day.

I am sorry that I went off half-cocked last week without coming to a meeting-of-the-minds with the product.
Regards,
Herb
PS -edit - re freezing - I found some 24hr old D II in the freezer that I applied to a long (3") wrap finished with FC Hi build. I scuffed it and applied D II over. A little thicker than I would like but leveled beautifully and no bubbles. would definately be good to touch-up a prior finished wrap within the touch-up window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 07:51AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diamond II revisited - changed to thumbs up
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2010 04:52AM

Herb with two distinct different types of formula’s you’ll never get a normal or high build epoxy to work the same as a “light version” TM Light, and Flex coat light are designed to be thinner and have longer working times

The process to create light epoxy's, requires different chemical makes up creating entirely different working characteristics.

I’m glad you got it worked out
[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 08:07AM

Save the freezer for the hot dogs........ :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 08:08AM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 24, 2010 09:10AM

I missed something... why are you putting the epoxy in the freezer?

I thought you wanted it ideally at 80 deg? Experiment?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2010 09:14AM

Herb has his own method for stretching out the useful working life of an epoxy. It's certainly not recommended by any epoxy formulator (Ralph O'Quinn nearly had a coronary when he heard about this) but it's Herb's prerogative to do things any way he likes.

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.134.---)
Date: February 24, 2010 11:14AM

Good on ya Herb for perservering and coming forward with a new post.

cheers
harold

Date: February 24, 2010 11:17AM

Re the freezer thing - I took some photos of the test wrap finished with 24hr Dia II. I think it is pretty enough "to make a good dog break his chain". I tried to post a pic on the photo page to show you the results but was unable. System took my upload but no evidence of pic. If anyone interested enough in seeing I will be happy to email.
What made it more impressive is that I applied it with a knitting needle - so the application was more lumpy and uneven than if I had used a soft brush. The finish, albeit thicker than I would have liked, leveled perfectly, substantiating Sylvia's claim of good leveling capability of Dia II.
In the real world I would have mixed another batch, but I wanted to push the window and see what the Dia II would do.
Herb

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 12:25PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2010 11:30AM

Herb,

Check your photo file size. If the photo is too large it will never process. All you need is something no more than 1000 pixels square and it will go easily.

Date: February 24, 2010 11:34AM

Tom,
That's my problem. I have trouble reducing using Picasa.

Posted by: Silvia Davis (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 12:37PM

Well, Herb I am so glad to hear from you—I was worried about you. I didn’t know you had gone out of town. I can’t thank you enough for the second post, mainly because I know you got it worked out. I know that was very troubling for you after getting the much anticipated new blank. I also appreciate your taking the time to let us know your second experience so that those who use a new product have a better idea of the learning curve that is sometimes involved.

Kudos for hanging in there and seeing it through for a job well done. By the way, if you will send those photos to me I will be happy to reduce them for you so that they are easier to post.

Silvia Davis

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 06:16PM

Herb,

Glad to hear from you. I appreciate you taking the time to share more of your experiences with DII. I'm anxious to see your pictures.

jeremy

Date: February 24, 2010 08:07PM

Sylvia,
Thanks for reducing size of pics. 3 pics are now on the "Guide Wraps" section of Photos.

You can plainly see that the flow and leveling ability, even after being frozen for 24 hrs, is excellent.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster