I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expo Tally
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2010 11:59AM

Attendance - We sold 1822 1-day tickets and 486 2-day tickets. There were some guest passes and then we had probably 100-125 folks in the exhibitors' booths. Attendance set a new record for Saturday. Sunday attendance was down from last year but those there on Sunday were buying. It’s safe to say that overall our attendance was as good or slightly better than any previous year. The Expo continues to grow, and this in a year that is still solidly mired in a recession. I was happy with the attendance and I think the vendors were as well.

Casting Contest - Not nearly as many came out as I had thought might. I was told by several who attended and stood on the sidelines that they had intended to enter but as they read this forum and saw the comments about guys who were going to cast 200, 300 feet, etc., they felt they just couldn’t be competitive so they decided not to bother. In the end, just as I said here on the forum many times, the real world results would be far less than what was being bandied about. Nobody hit 150 feet and many said if they had known that was going to be the case they’d definitely have entered. Oh well. We have a good place to do this and if we do it again next year I’m sure more guys will attend. If nothing else, it was a lot of fun which was the original intent to begin with

Seminars - Each year the seminars get smoother and smoother. The presenters did their best job ever at utilizing the audiovisual equipment that I rent. I was very happy to see that and I’m sure the folks who attended the seminars were as well. The only problem remaining is that it seems like we’ve outgrown the seminar rooms. I rent 150 chairs for each room so it’s not hard to peek in and tell at a glance what the attendance at each one is. Several were not only “standing room only” but "leaning and peeking in only." We could have easily seated 200 for several of the seminars. It’s a nice problem to have, I suppose.

Overall, the seminars are getting where I want them to be. No doubt the presenters are experts and talented people, but it’s taken a few years for some of them to become comfortable in a seminar format. The addition of audiovisual gear a few years ago, and it’s wiser use this year, was something I was very pleased with. The seminars got rave reviews from most that I spoke with. Everybody did a great job.

Sales - I don’t have sales figures from all the various exhibitors. All I spoke with very pleased and many offered to buy space for a 2011 event right then. Most want more booth space than they had this year. If there were any disgruntled vendors, I didn’t hear from them. I’m sure I will if they exist, but overall the folks I spoke with were happy and felt this was the best Expo they’ve participated in thus far. If they’re happy, I’m happy.

Facility - I do know that the Showplace facility continues to shine for the exhibitors. Set-up and tear-down is a breeze compared to Charlotte and most tell me that it's the very finest and most user friendly facility they’ve ever encountered. It’s expensive on one hand but when you come right down to it, I really feel that I get my money’s worth at the Showplace. Not having to deal with frustrated and aggravated vendors prevents a great deal of headaches on my end. In all the years we’ve been at the Showplace I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a legitimate complaint about the facility or its staff. Wonderful place and extremely helpful people. It’s well worth the money. We might end up in another location for a future event but I’ll be shocked if we ever find a place that is as accommodating and helpful as the Showplace.

Hotels - Most of the hotels perform as expected. The Best Western really let me down in several areas, but I have no deal with them outside of arranging a special rate for those who want to stay right across the street from the Showplace. I’m not happy about the hot water problem on Sunday, nor the lack of an open restaurant in the evenings, but I'm afraid that’s beyond my control. There are plenty of other places to stay in town, of course, and many fine restaurants out and around. Still, it’s a matter of convenience for those who fly in and don’t want to have to rent a car in order to lodge or eat elsewhere. It’s something I’ll have to think long and hard about if and when I decide to do this again in 2011. As I said, the hotels are beyond my control but I do want those who attend the Expo to have an overall pleasant experience all the way around. It's all about value and particularly where those who travel great distances to attend are concerned.

My End - While the Expo is a lot of work, I don’t find it aggravating except for one thing - “poached” booth space. Exhibitors buy 10x10 booth spaces but over half will poach additional square footage by pushing out beyond the 10’ depth. Some move out as much as 14 feet (we measured and photographed it this year). This costs me a lot of money in lost booth sales - about $7200 this year alone. If every exhibitor and vendor paid for the amount of booth space they actually use, I’d be able to make a few dollars on the event, which would then allow me to do more for everybody at future events.

Then you have the other half of the exhibitors who stick to the booth size just as requested. They want to know why they can’t push out past 10 feet since so many others do it. One I spoke to on the phone this morning posed the question, “If you’re going to give others free booth space I’d like to have some too.” Well, I didn’t give it to anyone - some just poached it and they knew going in that they weren't supposed to do it. This is the only real headache for me where the Expo is concerned. It’s a major problem and one that will have to be addressed if I’m to do a 2011 event.

Regrets - My only real regret at the Expo these past few years is that I so much enjoy seeing everyone I’ve made friends with over the years and don't have enough time to spend with them. Not just the exhibitors and vendors, but many of the rod builders themselves. I’m spread very thin and just can't get the one-on-one time with everybody that I'd like to. I get a ton of dinner invitations and would love to be able to sit down and relax with all these wonderful folks each year but there just isn’t any way I can do it. If I didn’t shake your hand or spend enough time with you, or wasn’t able to take you up on your kind offer for dinner or drinks, rest assured I wasn’t snubbing you. I’m just spread a little thin at the Expo. This is my one great regret - too many nice folks and not enough time to spend with each one of them.

Bottom Line - If the attendees and exhibitors are happy, I’m happy. Most seemed to be. There is always room for improvement and no matter how good the Expo gets I continue to see little things here and there that can still be better. If we do this again in 2011, I will indeed do whatever I can to make that event bigger and better than the 2010 event. I'll make a decision in the next 60 days. Now I've got to get to work on the next issue of the magazine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expo Tally
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 01:13PM

Thank you for all you did and continue to do.
It exceeded my expectations in all respects, even my wife enjoyed the whole thing.
To be with so many that share the same strange obsession was just awesome.
Looking forward to the next one!
Thanks again
Lou

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 01:30PM

Tom,

It was great to meet and talk with you Saturday, and as has been said... I think this show was the best one yet, we all hope in that 60days you'll make the right decision.

DR

Posted by: Paul Carmichael (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 03:00PM

It was my first ICRB Expo of many to come. I have attended many other fishing related shows religiously over the past 10-15 years and none of them can hold a candle to this event. The willingness to share technique and the quality of the products being offered was amazing. Thank you for all the hard work that you put into it. It really shows. It was well worth the 1100 mile round trip drive. I would do it again in a heartbeat!.

Sincerely,

Paul C.

Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: February 23, 2010 03:31PM

Tom,
Thanks for all your efforts with the show. It is rare that an event of that magnitude runs as smoothly as this one did. I can't think of one thing you could have done to improve my experience with the event. Even with some of the minor issues the hotel had, I will come again and stay at the same place just for the convenience factor. I will come next year if you will honor us with doing it again.

Sincerely
Rick Ballard

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 04:53PM

This was number 6 for me and EVERY year I say that I don't see how it could get any better and every year it has.. I think that this year was by far had the the most diverse assortment/variety of vendors/merchandise!!! Great Job, Tom

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 05:12PM

Hey Tom, You'd really be cool if you held one out here on the west coats LOL

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 07:21PM

I am very curious / interested in the casting contest results - whatever specifics could be provided.

Date: February 23, 2010 08:30PM

I mentioned this earlier - the spinning rods with all large rings, even just a few of them, did not do well. Large coils of line coming off the reel and continuing through the guides simply does not equate to good distance. On the casting rod side of things, some of the all micro guide rods did very well, others not so very well. Because we allowed folks to supply their own reels there were variables beyond just the rods and guide set ups. Perhaps we can create a more scientific type "contest" next year.

I will publish the names of the winners tomorrow hopefully and they can tell you more about the set-ups they used.

Date: February 23, 2010 09:53PM

Bill,

I had an exchange with Mark Griffin yesterday. There is still a chance that he'll be doing something out in California either later this year or sometime in 2011. Check with him in a few weeks and see what he might have going on.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 10:10PM

Tom, unless you get bought out or sign a no compete clause with another show promoter there is no way anyone else can do a major rod building event. At this point the industry and the builders know that if they can only do one show, yours is the one to do. In fact I think they have known that for some time. You always produce what you promise and you do things in a big way.

Posted by: Terry Jones (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 10:28AM

I too wanted to chime in about the good time I had. My first event and enjoyed every minute of it! Coming from Texas, it was a 2,200 mile round trip which I would do again tomorrow. In fact, i keep thinking about things I wished I had done while I was there.
It was also great to meet people in person that I have only know through forums. Tom, it was a pleasure to meet you and I appreciate your hospitality. Steve Gardner was awesome!! Since I am an avid Micro fan, Steve and I hit it off great! Alex D. and I met in an elevator and I am sure we will keep in touch. Wished I could have talked to Billy V more...he was always busy and the one time we did have a conversation..I got interrupted and then had to leave. Just too many to mention at this point...just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster