I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding a Builder
Posted by: Tom Bjornsen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 09:18PM

Greetings All,
Brand new to this board, so please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong place, or for some reason am breaking any rules...

What is the best way to go about finding a builder for a rod that I would like built?
I already own the blank...
I have looked at pages and pages of pictures on the site narrowing down what I am looking for, but I do not know if it proper to contact anyone here soliciting their services.
I went down to the big expo this past weekend and came home with a CTS SE 1201C that I would like to have built to pair with a 6500CT.
I am pretty set on what I would like, and how I want it to come out.
But after building 4 or 5 rods years ago it is obvious to me that I possess neither the patience nor talent, nor proper equipment and workspace to do the job properly.
And if possible, I would prefer to go with someone here in Virginia.
Advice on how to proceed from here would be welcome.
Thanks all,
There certainly appears to be some very talented people posting on this site!
Cheers,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding a Builder
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 09:36PM

Tom , Click on the directory button above and search the listings. Some others may chime in here so check back often.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2010 09:58PM

The Tackleworks directory is a good place to start. You may find someone in your local area.

There were several builders exhibiting at the Expo this weekend - Kevin Knox (Angler's Envy), JP Timberlake (Sticks and Bones) and Sammy Mickel (Mickel's Custom Rods). I believe Ken Preston is still offering rods as well.

Date: February 22, 2010 10:35PM

Yeah, there were certainly some amazing builders at the show, but to be honest I felt kind of overwhelmed by it all, and most of the booths were just too crowded for me to feel comfortable asking questions.
But it was a great place to walk around and look at components and get a better idea as to what I would like built.
Maybe if I am more specific on what I am looking for it might help here.
The one thing that I fell in love with were the Alps reel seats. The aluminum ones.
Those are gorgeous. I particularly liked the ones with the finger cutouts with the carbon fiber inlays. (Or maybe I saw those on the Alps site when I got home. But it is going to take some serious arguments to talk me out of one of those.
I really like the idea of a split rear grip below the reel seat, to expose as much of the blank as is functional. That Cobalt Blue CTS is just too pretty to hide.
As for the grip material, I really like the X-Flock shrink wrap, possibly with cork tape underneath. And I really like the grips on the St. Croix Legends with the raised crossed chording under the shrink wrap. But again, the main purpose of this rod is FUNCTION, and if anyone can offer up arguments against anything I am suggesting I will humbly accept your opinions!
My next biggest concern is keeping the rod as light as is functionally possible.
That blank (naked as it is now) just cuts through the air like a knife, and I want to retain as much of that feeling as possible.
I want the wraps to be very understated, and very classic. I have almost convinced myself that i do not even want a butt wrap, or if there is one, I want it to be simple and understated.
While I certainly appreciate the craft and art of the complicated wraps, I personally lean towards the stuff that is classic, simple and done to perfection.
The 6500 CT that is going on it is from Jerry Forman down in Florida, who specializes in rebuilding old Abus to perform better than new.
It has black side plates, with the silver cage, and is just beautiful in that classic sense.
From looking at pictures on this site last night (until my eyes crossed) I decided that I really liked the builders that wrapped their guides with as little epoxy as possible extending past the wraps. On some rods I like that thick epoxy on the threads, but for this rod I want it to be as thin as is realistic, without sacrificing durability and function.
I will want a simple black and silver wrap to match the reel.
I want nothing but the best guides possible. I will probably be using braid on the reel, so that will be a consideration for the composition of the rings.
So with the exception of the Alps seat, and the possible inclusion of a split rear grip with the shrink wrap, I want something that is going to be very understated, and very classic looking.
I saved a bunch of pictures from looking at different wraps last night, but will not bore everyone to death by posting them into this reply.
Again,
I thank all for their opinions and help in pointing me in the right direction.

And I looked in the directory, and only one of the fellows there from Virginia had a website with pictures of their work.
I am sure there are a lot more builders in the Virginia and near NC area on this site than what is represented there.

Thanks again,
Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 10:51PM

Contact all the builders even if they don't have a site. Ask if they know other builders. Ask and if close if you can see photos of there work. Even go and see there shop. then of course you can ask about them here.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Shewell (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 01:28AM

TOM, where in VA. are you located/
MIKE

Date: February 23, 2010 07:28AM

Charlottesville.
But my job takes me to just about all corners of Virginia on a pretty regular basis.
Tom

Posted by: Chris Starling (---.gsk.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 09:13AM

Tom B - you may want to unhide your email address.

Good luck with the search and build. You started in the right place with the Expo and this forum. I expect things will turn out great for you.

Chris

Date: February 26, 2010 07:59PM

Thanks to all for their pointers here.
Someone ended up sending me in the direction of Wayne Fowlkes in Virginia Beach, and I was able to meet him and spend some time in his workshop today laying out the rod.
Wayne actually had a personal rod that he uses built on the exact same blank and he is going to build mine in the exact same manner.
Wonderful fellow, incredibly generous with his time and expertise, and I cannot imagine that I will be anything but thrilled with the results.
Thanks Guys!
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster